Dev Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows platform?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. API for change and delete calendar appointments

It is great that you now can write to the calendar database but there is not any API for change or delete an appointment?

10,374 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      410 comments  ·  Phone Data Store APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • SMS Access API

Please provide an API that provides access to the texts to allow developers to implement an application to enable scenarios such as reading or archiving SMS messages.

9,302 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        385 comments  ·  Communication APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Currently, the platform provides a number of SMS Access from a system eventing perspective (as of Windows Phone 8.1), and Windows Phone supports sms backup/restore for consumers as part of the base OS (Settings → Backup). What we don’t provide is a backup API.

Using SMS events: Check out the Build 2014 session (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-518) or MSDN docs on background tasks (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/hh977056.aspx)

Although the capabilities are there from a consumer perspective (the core ask for the suggestion), I’m marking this as ‘Under Review’ for the API perspective. The team is aware of the ask and it is something that is being considered.

• Bluetooth Data Transfer APIs

Please provide developer platform support for bluetooth data transfer via SSP (Serial Port Profile). There are many bluetooth devices (e.g., medical devices, automotive, etc.) that we need to connect to.

5,787 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          213 comments  ·  Sensor + Settings APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The Windows Phone 8.1 release provides significant advances to the Bluetooth stack, and I believe most of this suggestions needs have been met (RFCOMM and name:serialPort is definitely among them),

For more information on the capabilities delivered in 8,1, please refer to the following resources:
          - Windows.Devices.Bluetooth namespace docs (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/windows.devices.bluetooth.aspx)
          - Build 2014 session on Bluetooth (LE) apps (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-519)

• Qt Support

This is an outctopping from the Native SDK suggestion (http://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-app-platform/suggestions/1755203-native-sdk). Please use this suggestion to vote and comment on your want/need for Qt support on the Windows Phone platform.

4,729 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            202 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion and the spirited commentary on the this topic. While we understand that the Qt platform is important to many folks on this thread, we are not planning to add native support for the platform to the Windows Phone developer platform. That being said, we would be very supportive of the Qt community bringing a runtime to Windows Phone to allow Qt apps to run (and run well!) on the platform, very similar to the work that we’ve done to help bring other runtimes / engines such as Unity, Havok, PhoneGap, and Cocos2d. We feel that the work we’ve done to enable DirectX and the Windows Runtime could enable such a runtime, and would love to see the Qt platform come to Windows Phone.

• Extend the API to query phone volume and vibration settings, maybe even set them.

Currently, when developing a alarm clock app, there is no way to tell if the user has his phone set to vibrate only, so a soundeffect set by the user is played even if he has set his phone to vibrate. I find this very confusing, even though the builtin alarm clock behaves the same way.
            This would also be good to have for games, so when you launch a game in a quiet environment not all heads turn the user's way :)

4,421 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              201 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Native SDK to support C++ Development

There... I said it. Allow native code (maybe sandboxed like in newer versions of Chrome) for better code usability. The 1st party apps are written in native code, then why not let us do it? If the apps behave bad you are free not to approve the app!

3,887 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                284 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion and the spirited commentary; as you have likely seen by now, the Windows Phone 8.0 developer platform does indeed support C++ development for DirectX games and by allowing you to run C++ code as part of your managed XAML apps. Download the WPSDK and give it a try. :)

4 Dec Update:
                Adding some additional details to this update, the Windows Phone 8.0 supports two app models around native:
                - DirectX can run apps that are fully written in C++ for game/business logic, graphics, and input
                - XAML + C# apps can make use of C++ code written in DirectX and rendered using one of two XAML objects
                - XAML + C# apps can make use of C++ code compiled into compute-only C++ libraries called ‘Windows Phone Runtime component’s.

What is not enabled is apps written solely in C++ and XAML…which is more a…

• Ability to Launch Apps with Live Tile Notifications

There are many parts to this, but I'll break it down into order of importance, and hopefully we get all of them:

1. Launch Hubs: Please give us access to launch all the Hubs: People, Phone, Email, Messaging, Games, Music+Videos, Pictures, etc.
                2. Launch First-Party Apps and Settings: Calendar, Internet Explorer, Settings, ringtones+sounds, theme, email+accounts, lock+wallpaper, etc.
                3. Launch Third-Party Apps: Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc.
                4. Access to Live Tile Notifications. What's the point of having pretty tiles on the screen without notifications? Can we tap into number of unread messages, updates, missed phone calls, or any notifications from first…

3,573 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  88 comments  ·  Dev Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There’s a few different threads both in the suggestion and in the comments. Much of what is in the comments is consumer app requests and better addressed via the http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/ website.

For the items in the original suggestion:
                  1 + 2: The launchers are not available in WP8, but may be in the future. These are likely best in a separate suggestion request
                  3: This is supported via App-to-App communication if these apps support a mime type
                  4: I’d suggest putting this into a standalone suggestion and flesh out what you would be looking at. Note that this would have some issues as suggested as I’m unsure how much devs would like to have their notifications and data available to everyone else

• API to create emails with an attachment

Modify the email launcher API to add an attachement

3,301 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Custom keyboard via code

Allow to developers create a custom keyboard. eg. choose letters and numbers together

3,268 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      30 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Skydrive API to backup user's IsolatedStorage app data

A cloud-connected device is essential for a mobile device. This means giving app developers the ability to automatically backup data currently stored in IsolatedStorage to the user's Live Skydrive. If the phone is lost or damaged, the data is easily recoverable.

3,011 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        46 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion and the spirited commentary; while the capability to ‘automatically backup data currently stored in IsolatedStorage’ doesn’t happen automagically within the Dev Platform in WP8, we have made a couple advances in the past year to provide an API to backup a user’s app data from isolated storage: (a) SkyDrive does provide APIs for making use of a user’s cloud storage account (as noted in the comments below), and (b) the SkyDrive team has officially blessed their usage in Windows Phone apps in the Store. While we will continue to improve the WP dev experience around SkyDrive for apps, we hope that you take advantage of the capability in your WP7 and WP8 apps today.

Also note that the Xbox Live APIs also support storing game data for XBL titles – it’s up to the developer/publisher to take advantage of them (similar to achievements and leaderboards).

• XNA 5

Please continue to work on XNA. It's a great way for indie game developers like myself to make games and give them to the world. XNA gave us the ability to put our games, easily, on the most popular platforms, and to just dump XNA would be therefor heartbreaking... I implore you to keep working on XNA so we C# developers can still make amazing games!

2,963 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          16 comments  ·  XNA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow applications with push notifications to display them on lock screen

Been hearing this one a lot, and i'm sure a lot of other developers could use this as well. But it would be great to allow applications with push notifications to display an icon on the lock screen just like email/messaging. Even though its convenient to simply unlock one's phone and check the live tile, it'd be even easier if they didn't even have to unlock their phone at all to see if they have something important going on. In the future, this could be really useful with messenger clients when socket support is added, twitter, google voice, etc etc.

2,934 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            37 comments  ·  Push Notification  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Orientation lock

Having an orientation lock is a must have for the next update. Something so simple. Why it was not included when WP launched is beyond me. The phone is frustrating to use in bed or on laying on the lounge.

2,852 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • VPN Support

My country has banned facebook and twitter, which means i need use vpn 2 connect facebook.

2,680 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                46 comments  ·  Network APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Provide ability for developers to respond to user reviews/feedback

Currently the only way to reply to user feedback (posted in marketplace) is to put in your own review - which of course is only possible if your xbox live account is located in exact same region (and then other users may get annoyed based on what star rating you've applied to your response).

Although many developers (such as myself) put in direct 'tech support' email functions inside the apps - users unfortunately don't commonly use these.

Many times I see a 'bad review' from a user in another market - which is raised because user has not understood some…

2,540 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  49 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Allow creating screenshot from device

This would help in creating screenshots for the marketplace. While this is easy enough using the emulator, it is difficult to simulate some features in the emulator.

2,193 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • avi,mkv,flv,rmvb... support

We need to see more media formats supported......

2,019 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Universal Plug and Play Framework - UPnP / DLNA

Please add full support for UPnP 1.1 / DLNA for third-party applications - perhaps even DPWS for potential future devices. The phone as a media / device controller is growing in popularity (ex: Sonos controllers).

1,940 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        12 comments  ·  Network APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion and commentary. While we have made progress on this front in the 8.0 developer platform, this suggestion is still not fully implemented. That being said, know that it is high on the consideration list for future Windows Phone releases.

Keep those suggestions and votes coming!

• Allow users to close tasks running in the background

This could just be an "x" in the corner of the "card" of the task in the multi-tasking screen (much like how you close a tab in IE). Having to enter the application and pressing back seems unnecessary.

1,741 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          75 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • In-App Purchase/Payments for Marketplace apps

By providing in-app payments you allow the developers more options for making money.
                                          Hey..the other guys are doing it!

1,624 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            50 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 149 150
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base