How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

Provide early beta of new OS updates to developers for installation on devices.

The emulator is fantastic, but it would be even better to be able to use the new features (in a beta program) on actual devices to develop and test apps on.

835 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Pete MillerPete Miller shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

75 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • XQuirrelXQuirrel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>>The emulator is fantastic, but ...<<
        >>Released out to developers with Beta 2 on June 29, 2011<<
        Does this mean that we can install 7.1 on our phones and hence test from the phone instead of the emulator?
        If so, how do we get 7.1 onto our phones?
        Any links so the detail would be appreciated!

• IvanIvan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you, it great to have this early access to platform, it's just what we wanted.

• Josue YerayJosue Yeray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks wp7 team! The beta version is very stable and pretty fast, now we can start testing the next version of our apps on real hardware and get to the mango release date with applications that make intensive use of it new features! Great job!

• RyanRyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for getting this out to us, where is the best place to provide mango feedback?

• Pete MillerPete Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Turns out this has now happened and the update is being distributed via Microsoft Connect to invited developers, and in a common sense way which explains whilst devs are responsible for breaking their devices, Microsoft will support one bricked device per developer.

Thanks very much to the team at Microsoft for making this happen. Hopefully it's open to all WP devs.

• Cliff SimpkinsAdminCliff Simpkins (Sr Product Manager, Windows Phone Developer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks folks - @Steve - as @Cyruss1989 said, it is indeed coming soon. As I've mentioned below, we want to be sure that you can trust running this on your retail devices. I know the false rumors that have been floating about aren't helping with patience, but we're still very much on track with releasing it soon.

• Cyruss1989Cyruss1989 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Steve It is coming, maybe they haven't finished to implement all API's or something.
        Just read Cliff's comment.

• SteveSteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mango needs to be released for it's developers. Please don't let apple get this big of a jump with it's beta's out. We just got our developer account but am waiting to develop until we can use mango. It appears that from the reviews it is pretty stable. Bring it MS.

• foxfox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Awesome, thanks for the explanation Cliff. Will be waiting for the rom. I can't wait to test out the real world applications of my app on my device.

• Mick NMick N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cliff, thanks for the update. That sounds really positive!

For anyone not clear on the message here, let me break it down.

"Mango Hardware" are new devices that includes gyro, etc. Issuing of loan devices to devs is a programme that evangalists have been running since the beginning of WP7. Any loan hardware to devs will come directly from Microsoft evangalists, and has nothing to do with this Uservoice request.

"Mango ROM" is the operating system that can be flashed onto any Windows Phone Device. In other words what this thread is about. In this regard, Cliff says: "I think you'll all be happy with what we have coming; it's coming, grasshoppers, I promise. We're as anxious to get this out to you as you are to receive it - it just requires quite a bit of groundwork so that your personal devices stay as safe as possible."

• Arne HelsethArne Helseth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"But because current devices can/will update to 'Mango', this helps mitigate getting a massive number of [expensive] phones out to all devs interested in targeting 'Mango', and - instead - focus on getting hardware out to those targeting new hardware capabilities."

What exactly does this mean? Will it be like last year where my local evangelists had access to devices but decided to keep them all to themselves bar a couple hours supervised access (I know, this didn't happen in every region - but it did here and considering MS handed out handsets like candy in the US it really irked me) or will we be able to sign up for full time access to devices (either as a long-term loaner, a "sample" or even thru a straight up purchase) somehow, and if so, where and whom do I contact?

While receiving pre-releases of Mango for my current devices will be great I foresee certain scenarios where access to actual Mango hardware will be a godsend.

• Daniels DanilinsDaniels Danilins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank Cliff for clearing this. Sounds great :)
        What do you mean "new hardware - GPU"? Didn't all current phones have some kind of GPU? Or do you mean a Chip model?

• Cliff SimpkinsAdminCliff Simpkins (Sr Product Manager, Windows Phone Developer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Folks - devices and 7.0 device updates are different things. Don't think of this as an either/or.

The key here is that a 'Mango' device is a device with hardware that is new to 'Mango' (e.g., gyro or GPU). The post that we put up on App Hub unfortunately focused on the hardware portion of this issue (getting 'Mango' out to devs), and didn't also discuss the software update portion. But because current devices can/will update to 'Mango', this helps mitigate getting a massive number of [expensive] phones out to all devs interested in targeting 'Mango', and - instead - focus on getting hardware out to those targeting new hardware capabilities.

I think you'll all be happy with what we have coming; it's coming, grasshoppers, I promise. We're as anxious to get this out to you as you are to receive it - it just requires quite a bit of groundwork so that your personal devices stay as safe as possible.

• Tom ServoTom Servo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some italian Microsoft PM was tweeting about running Mango on his HTC Mozart (i.e. first gen WP7 device). Where are we with the ROM issue, since this Cliff's responses read like the tool's being worked on?

• Mick NMick N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see anything in Brandon's tweet feed suggesting this rom availability being worked on has been canned. All I see is him talking about some devices going out.. something that's been happening independent to the rom question since Mix10.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base