How can we improve the Windows platform?

Provide a Wallpaper API to enable in-app setting of device wallpaper

Photo apps, image download apps, etc would all benefit from the ability to directly set the device wallpaper (with the user's permission, possibly as a capability in the manifest).

501 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Derek LakinDerek Lakin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    ebattulgaebattulga shared a merged idea: LockscreenChangeTask  ·   · 

Thank you for the suggestion and the spirited commentary; the capability to set the lock screen wallpaper (often also referred to as the wallpaper) has been added to the Windows Phone 8.0 developer platform. Download the WPSDK and give it a try. :)

That being said, the story has not changed for the start screen background.

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • EXboxNickEXboxNick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OR give us the option to either multiplex across tiles OR choose a background image behind tiles.. that way you don't have 2 conflicting images....

• EXboxNickEXboxNick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we not only set pictures for the background wallpaper but also "multiplex" images on/across tiles like a lot of the 'homebrew' dev unlocked phones do???? There are apps that let you post 1 image into many tiles but not for actual backgrounds on usable live tiles... This is the reason I consider selling/getting rid of WP7 because it's just too restricted and plain, like iOS. I'll take my Omnia II anyday over Trophy.

• sksivajothisksivajothi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow apps like wallpaper apps to give option to the user to set wallpaper from within the app, instead of downloading-->going to pictures hub-->selecting the picture-->setting as wallpaper. It is too tedious a process for such a simple and basic task!!

• sinister1sinister1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please listen to your loyal users; don't take us for granted, a whole bunch of ex Windows Mobile users have already jumped ship to Android or IOS and quite a few are still on Windows Mobile and refuse to move to Windows Phone. Give us this ability please, is this to much to ask? Every day more and more people leave Windows Phone why do you think you guys are like number three or four on the market? Give us back what Windows Phone was back in the WM days. Give us a freaking wallpaper already and don't make us wait for some lame update like Apollo or something that's coming out in 2014 or 2020.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a need for this feature and there are a lot of apps that could be developed for this feature.

• Aamir SanwariAamir Sanwari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of wallpaper on the start screen is the only issue holding me back from getting a windows phone 7 device. I really hope they include this in the next update. A wallpaper for homescreen is a very basic must-have feature.

• scottscott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wallpaper on the home screen is essential, just look at picture and marketplace hubs and see how much more attractive and vibrant they are. If wp7 is going challenge IOS and android it needs to be a absolute looker. Black background takes you back to the old days of the iphone before the 3GS.

• sebseb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

background wallpaper for main tile screen must be changeable to an image or even an animation

• sebseb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A need to change the backgound on the home screen would be a total MUST, even if you could have animations for the background would also be good, otherwize it wp7 or wp8 will still be playing catch up to ios and android

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability zu further personalize
        your phone with personal wallpaper on tile screen with addition of ability to choose opacity of the latter would be greatly appreachiated.
        Regards

Feedback and Knowledge Base