How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

Allow creating screenshot from device

This would help in creating screenshots for the marketplace. While this is easy enough using the emulator, it is difficult to simulate some features in the emulator.

2,193 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JW SullivanJW Sullivan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    ChrisPearsonJaxChrisPearsonJax shared a merged idea: use the camera button Screenshot of phone  ·   · 

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mj BarbieMj Barbie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Customers like me are dying to have a screenshot of our devices. We deserve it since we chose Windows over Android and iPhone. Not everybody could get Windows 8. Is it because of sales increase for Windows 8??? Now this got me thinking. Maybe I should buy an Android phone that's a lot cheaper and keep my Windows 7.5 for the sake of my emails, pictures and internet. This sucks.

• stefstef commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The customers don't want that only for Windows 8 but also for Windows 7.8. Don't forget your customers: if they are disapointed, they will not buy Windows 8 and/or Windows Phone 8 and they will choose Android or iPhone if they are respected there.

• LucianLucian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about "TV-out over USB"? A PC application could then be used to capture not only screenshots, but also demo videos. It could be integrated with the IDE (for developers) or Zune (so that users/reviewers can access it too).

This is not meant to be a replacement for on device screenshots, but rather an extension of the idea.

• Bhavesh BorkhatariaBhavesh Borkhataria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By finding a way to try and install something where pretty much all downloadable application could work on the Windows Phone. There are very limited applications like Games etc. Most other device platforms such as Apple OS and android are similarly approached into downloading any types of flash applications, from games e.g. Draw Something (Which I'm really very keen into finding this particular application if available for Windows Phones) to News Feed etc.

• jnbjnb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it could be by pressing windows and bing buttons at the same time!

• Sedrick BouknightSedrick Bouknight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BUT PLEASE MAKE SURE APPS CAN OPT OUT - for media players, messaging, etc: app screenshots are a bad thing!!! (drm, irm etc)

• MaduraiSamMaduraiSam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This a great feature! I was using using it frequently when I was using iPhone. Now that I switched to Windows Phone, I miss this feature a lot!....

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work at a Microsoft integrator and having this capability allows for us to show our customers how WP7 works with other Microsoft solutions such as UAG, Sharepoint, etc.
        In addition, if there was an interface to grab the video in your phone specs it helps for PC-based demos (without having to have a Dev Kit).

• Oskar KnobelOskar Knobel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As stated before by others, this isn't just a functionality that would be useful for developers, but something that quite a few end users would take for granted when considering a Windows Phone device. I was surprised that it isn't already implemented.

There are people (including myself) who rather take a screenshot on the device and send it as part of a message than type what they see on their screens. This is a very useful feature.

iOS had it for years, Android had manufacturer solutions and XDA integrated screenshot functionality in custom ROMs a long time ago.

• RaggiRaggi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On some Android handsets you press the power button and choose 'Screenshot' in the list that pops up. A great idea to be inspired from :-D

• SirKneelandSirKneeland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is more important than you'd think in raising public awareness of WP7. like damnyouautocorrect.com. it's all screenshots of iOS devices.

• Luis VasquezLuis Vasquez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this should be fully integrated with the OS as a feature and not as an app. Either by using the camera button to take a screenshot on anything the phone is displaying, or by adding an option in the ... drop menu.

• Lancelot SoftwareLancelot Software commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ultimately this should be a consumer feature like Cliff S. said. Heres my idea... user wants a screenshot- user taps and holds the back button- beneath the screenshots in the FAS menu is a save screenshot button.

wp7.5 already saves screenshots for FAS, it shouldnt be too difficult to take it a little further and save an image to the media library

lance

• AdetaylorAdetaylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An API for screenshots is also helpful from the perspective of allowing remote viewing solutions to be implemented (e.g. WiFi Display, MirrorLink, VNC, RDP). Of course, it needs to be secured such that there is no prospect that such screenshots can be taken without the user's explicit approval. And it needs to be extremely high performance which might imply native code too.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base