How can we improve the Windows platform?

WP7 needs a "notification center" like Android or iOS5.

Even though Live Tiles can be used to display the content of the Toast Message, I would prefer a dedicated notification center in WP7.

649 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Cyruss1989Cyruss1989 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    David GalindoDavid Galindo shared a merged idea: Provide a new screen to see all application notifications together  ·   · 
    FabbriFabbri shared a merged idea: Notification Center  ·   · 
    GemetiaGemetia shared a merged idea: notification centre  ·   · 
    Moses ZhouMoses Zhou shared a merged idea: support push notification collection  ·   · 

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bara H MuBara H Mu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with what gaurav about many notifications are lost not to mention the app updates without a pinned marketplace.

One way to do this is to add a Notification hub or a Notification center by swiping to the left from the home-screen.

• gauravgaurav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If marketplace app is not pinned to home screen, users will never know about the app updates. Notification center can again make this possible, irrespective of marketplace app pinned to home screen or not.

It's very clear that if your phone is in pockets and you receive several toast notifications from different apps, they can't be found later. WP need a notification center. The argument that live tiles home screen serves as notification center is silly, and clearly if toast notifications are part of system then they must be saved and visible later a.k.a notification center.

The bigger question is how it will be implemented... similar to Android or iOS or another approach. And I trust WP team will do a great job in finding out that...

• CDACDA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

chuck an apple and copy android DIRECTLY noones gonna sue

• planetarianplanetarian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lock screen only displays icons/notifications for certain apps. It's not universal, and lacks detail, so it does not serve this purpose.

• planetarianplanetarian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Live tiles are great but they don't seem to update at a sufficient frequency (I often have live tiles with data several days outdated), and if you don't have an app pinned to your start screen, you don't see the information at all.

• mcoulter785mcoulter785 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its a strange problem because by adding a notifications center you ruin the simplicity of windows phone live tiles and they would in essence just become massive icons but without it you really miss it. Personally I would rather do without it atm

• JesseJesse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea of including all notifications in the Me Notifications as well! Please add this.

• Cyruss1989Cyruss1989 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ScubaDog I think you missed the point, this is about notifications of 3rd party apps --> "Display the content of the Toast Message".

• ScubaDog2008ScubaDog2008 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There IS a notification stack. It's called the LOCK SCREEN. Just wake up the device and look along the bottom of the screen. You'll see icons for each of your notification types (phone calls, emails, sms) plus the number of outstanding items for each. Simple.

• ScubaDog2008ScubaDog2008 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There IS a notification stack. It's called your LOCK SCREEN. The very second you wake up your device you see icons for phone calls, emails, sms, all along the bottom of the screen along with a number representing how many unread/unanswered flags there are.

Notification center is truly needed. Lets take a simple scenario, I got 2 messages, 1 missed call and 3 emails, now to figure out this I'll have to see all the live tiles on my home screen whereas if there is notification center can show all of this on one dedicated page and help me in choosing which one is important first...

• Cyruss1989Cyruss1989 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also like the idea to include it in the me tile, but a new screen on the left side would be fine too.

• VeuxVeux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a toast notification comes in and I am away from the phone I had no chance to get this notification again or can see that there was an notification

• SnympiSnympi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea of adding it to the Me tile. Chances are it is going to be pinned and it is a nice centralised way that fits in with the Metro design.

• TDATDA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree. I was really disappointed when I found out that the notification part of the me tile in Mango was only for facebook.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base