How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

WP8: provide the same support for Direct2D as W8

and more generally, make W8, WP8 ... as consistent as possible

361 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Philippe MonteilPhilippe Monteil shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RaptorRaptor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DLL of DirectWrite is included in WP8 process. But why not provide us the API?

• SimonSimon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please make direct2d and directwrite available, so we can develop apps for wp8

• kotsoftkotsoft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too would like to see Direct2D on WP8. Lack of D2D caught me off guard as I had used it extensively in the Windows 8 version of my app and then I had to proceed to redo the entire interface. Eventually I settled on C#, XAML and C++ but that does not give me everything I need. I need high quality vector rendering including curves, and I also would like it to be immediate mode as I need to do per frame animation. I can do fast per frame animation in D3D, but it is overkill for what I need to do.

• Charles HumphreyCharles Humphrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would greatly aid cross platform support, which MS seems to have lost a bit of focus on of late, but I understand it must be a tough task keeping all your ducks in a row :S

• RobertHFRobertHF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm developing a WinRT component for use in a Windows Store app. The component is written in C++ and makes heavy use of both Direct3D and Direct2D. It would be great to be able to port it to Windows phone using the same graphics APIs.

• FlavioFlavio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It doesn't make sense to have different APIs for the phone and tablet platforms. The iPad and iPhone have the 99% code and resources compatibility, and they are the market leaders, does Microsoft thinks it can do better than Apple by making developers wasting time running around changing APIs?

• Philippe MonteilPhilippe Monteil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for your answer.

I have noticed that it is now possible to inject DirectX produced surfaces in an XAML UI,
        and this is _very_ good news: :-)!

I have already tested the connexion between WP8 and SharpDX and I really appreciate not to be forced to use C++ to exploit DirectX., a key resource for our developments.

Knowing that you will keep improving the consistency between W8 and WP8, and probably add support for D3D to the latter, is also very positive.

• mithrilmithril commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WP8 has No low level APIs to create experiences like Word/Powerpoint/PDF readers/etc. This greatly limits what we ca do with the platform because not everybody wants to make RSS readers.

• DanielDaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IE10 on WP8 needs D2D, DirectWrite, WIC and MediaFoundation. This means that ALL of these technologies will be there already. PLEASE, make them also available to us developers!

• Philippe MonteilPhilippe Monteil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

also, please make sure that SharpDX can be adapted to WP8, so as to provide a complete and effective access to the graphics API from .Net.

Feedback and Knowledge Base