How can we improve the Windows platform?

Bluetooth 4/ Bluetooth Low Energy API support.

Please add support for Bluetooth Low Energy and Bluetooth 4. This will allow the development of applications that can support existing standard accessories and solutions across platforms. iOS and Android supports BLE. The WP8 hardware supports Bluetooth 4, but the software on WP8 does not allow the use of BLE.

1,586 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    eschumaceschumac shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The Windows Phone 8.1 release provides significant advances to the Bluetooth stack, and I believe most of this suggestions needs haveincluding the addition of BTLE,

For more information on the capabilities delivered in 8,1, please refer to the following resources:
    - Windows.Devices.Bluetooth namespace docs (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/windows.devices.bluetooth.aspx)
    - Build 2014 session on Bluetooth (LE) apps (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-519)

42 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Christian JacobChristian Jacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cliff, the BLE implementation in WP81 is NOT complete. While BLE also supports connections to devices without pairing them, Windows Phone 8.1 as well as Windows 8.1 do require pairing. iOS and Android do support this. Please reopen.

• StavrosStavros commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is Bluetooth v.4 LE available on the Windows Phone 8.1 Update developer preview (v. 8.10.14157.200)?

I am trying to pair the Heart Rate Monitor of Adidas micoach, but my Nokia Lumia 928 does not even find it in the Settings -> Bluetooth.

• Cliff SimpkinsAdminCliff Simpkins (Sr Product Manager, Windows Phone Developer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, chiming in on the Nokia angle here.

Bluetooth LE is now supported in the base Windows Phone 8.1 Bluetooth stack. With Nokia, the implemented a custom BTLE implementation at the firmware/driver level, which prevents the OS BTLE drivers from getting access to the BTLE radios. As such, Windows Phone can't get to BTLE devices with the 8.1 APIs until Nokia updates their drivers to not own that channel.

This should all be fixed when the Lumia firmware updates for 8.1 come out, but it will be problematic for folks in the WP Preview Program in the interim.

• TemplarianTemplarian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"LE is disabled on Nokia phones for the developer preview, but will be ready by Windows Phone 8.1 launch."

So yea, it sounds like if you're an application developer at this time you are kind of out of luck if that is a feature you want to target for the 8.1 launch.

From what I can figure out online (maybe MS devs know more), Nokia is the only hardware partner to even have LE drivers at this time.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft,

our customers are waiting for Windows Phone support for the Bluetooth 4.0 LE BleBox devices family.

Cheers,
        Patryk

• William NoelWilliam Noel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in the middle of developing an industrial product that will require BLE. The proposed package includes a Nokia phone (as we love the device and the platform), so this is not just about apps, it's about selling phones, too.

I don't expect any official announcement in this forum, but if I can't get access to it after Build 2014 in March, I'll have to move on to another platform. iOS is a no-go for all the obvious reasons, but an Android phone would do the trick. I *really* hate that idea.

Please, please get this API released. It's in the Windows Store platform already, but it's much needed in the WP8 arena. I don't care about Amber, or WP7. Just the current stuff.

Thanks for your consideration.

• Erik ArthurErik Arthur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make these tools/apis public. Adidas has BLE in their Mi Coach app and it would be great to allow others to make similar apps

• Ryan GRoomRyan GRoom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hopefully a timeline will be announced soon! I am working on an app for both iOS and Android using BLE and would like to support WP at the same time, but can't even put it on our road map if BLE timelines are not disclosed. Hoping to see some news before BUILD 2014. Maybe Nokia needs to release an SDK like their Imaging SDK to get this jump started.

• JugoslavJugoslav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there something new regarding the BLE 4.0 support or API changes...? I am developing a BLE device so I am very interested regarding this matter.

• philipgphilipg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that the current lack of BLE support will hurt WP8 sales. IOS and Android 4.3 support it. Microsoft is a bit behind the times - especially since there does not even appear to be a roadmap!

• eschumaceschumac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's my understanding that BLE support is not included in the Amber update. Microsoft should confirm.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the Amber update on my Nokia lumia 820. But could not pair with BLE devices?. Also BLE API are released? or going to release soon?

More things have leaked out in the last few days. Based on the information that all Nokia devices with the Bluetooth 4.0 capable chips are getting updates. This leads one to pretty much assume the Amber Update will contain the required SDK methods.

"Under Review" -> "Started"... ?

Cliff, any idea if we will see this in at //Build... 8.1?

Assuming there hasn't been a WP update in a while I would expect it to come then.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base