How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

Provide low-level NFC API for NDEF formatting and (un)locking tags

Currently Windows Phone 8 supports only NDEF formatted NFC tags. It's not possible to NDEF format blank tags, lock or unlock existing tags.
I bought once pack of NFC tags on eBay, but they were not NDEF formatted, so I had to find a way how to format them. I found on Twitter a guy with NFC equipped Android phone and he formatted these tags for me. Windows Phones should be able to do this as well.

884 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Martin SuchanMartin Suchan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hire some new devs and get it added to 8.1 or androids will continue to embarrass WP. Just like Microsoft to get what could be an incredible feature only half done making it practically useless. Do it all, or don't do it at all. If iOS gets thus before you you might as well get out of the market.

• Dhaval FariaDhaval Faria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need this desperately, currently my client needs to use Android to format tags and then use Windows Phone to do activities on application. Now they are considering moving to Android, because they don't want to use both phones.

• SebastianSebastian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just found out the hard way that WP 8 NFC Support is very limited to NDEF only and can not be used for my (I guess most) applications. I hope there will be a real/lower level nfc API in WP 8.1

• Matt RedmondMatt Redmond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a line-of-business app that requires direct communication with NFC tags (MiFare Ultralight-C) that are NOT NDEF formatted. It works on Adroid and I sure as heck hope it's possible on Windows Phone by the time I get to it! It's bad enough that Apple doesn't have NFC at all. Microsoft should know better than to offer developers less than full access to the hardware.

• jesuslg123jesuslg123 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this to WP8! It's basic for any work with NFC.. :( Now I need an Android phone just to start... because are factory empty my tags.. Doesn't make sense need to do that...

• Jeff BowdenJeff Bowden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If only UID access would be made available that would be an important improvement. Tag specific 'low level' commands would be VERY useful to so many as well. I urge Microsoft to consider the wide variety of applications on competing platforms that allow for this.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Low level access to NFC radio would enable us to create various very useful applications, please :)

• Dirk SarisDirk Saris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to be able to read Mifare (ultralight) cards, and send the low level info that is on a card too so I can write apps to add functionality to existing applications based on Mifare.

• GilesGiles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really want this for our University Card program. If I could "add" the NDEF record to an existing MiFare tag, I would be very happy

Feedback and Knowledge Base