Dev Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows platform?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Allow creation and modification of keyboard and dictionary

The non-English keyboards and dictionaries are incomplete, buggy or non-existing. If you open up the corresponding API's we can write an editor to:
    * Add Papiamento (the language they speak in Aruba)
    * Add Papiamentu (the similar language they speak in Curacao)
    * Fix the issues in the Dutch language. Now you cannot remove the incorrectly upper-cased "ZE" ("THEY") or even add the correctly cased "ze". And adding long words (like "voorsorteren") is also impossible. Dutch uses compound words, like "radiostation" ("radio station"). With an open API, the keyboard can be tought to allow compound words that are not explicitly…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Communication APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow more specific queries on FindAppointmentsAsync

Allow more specific queries on Appointments.

For example, if allow to find appointments by end date (start date + duration) we can know what is happening in current moment.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  XAML APIs (WinRT)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Support To New Applications

Platform should support new applications that are not big companies'. In these days all new applications don't appear in New+Rising category, and some new applications are dying. We have communicate with Microsoft Support about this situation and they said "We don't promise "New applications always enter New+Rising category" to developers. It is so embarrassing for small companies or freelance developers. You should support new applications, you should support us.

57 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Store Center + Publication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • trial testing live

I'd like it if once I have an app that has been published using my msn account. That the store would realize that it was my account and allow me to download it, as a trial (which would always start from the date I download it), if I uninstalled it and re-installed it would still show as trial. Then would let me test the purchasing as well (which would then switch the license temporarily for say 24hours or that run of the app). This would allow me to test that everything is working properly with the store live.

Also I'd…

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Increase Fields for Contacts

The base Contact fields should match the available fields in MS Outlook. The don't even come close.

I switched from Android (using CompanionLink software) and it is far better. I can't think of an Outlook Contact field that wasn't available.

Had I known that I would not have mobile access to this important information for my business, I would have remained with Android.

Seeing as how this is a MS product and software, also, I find it surprisingly disappointing.

Calendar entries are far too basic, too.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • App Disappears from Top Free section

Our app has disappeared from the Top Free section in its category 6 times. It always follows the same pattern: On late Sunday or early Monday, the app disappears from the Top Free section (it goes from the top 10 to nowhere in the top 1000). The app can then only be found via search. Around Friday, the app reappears in the Top Free section. We understand we are not guaranteed a position in the Top Free section, but this is not a normal fluctuation. Each time it drops completely out of the top 1000. And each time our downloads…

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Windows Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • a quick and cheap way to improve high quality apps MS can do

it can be applyed to both windows store and wp store. the key is "translate".
                many nice apps are realeased in various market while those apps are not as popular or get used by people in the areas speaking a different language from the developer. MS can offer help to translate the app. it's beneficial and useful due to the following reasons:
                1. the problem offen happens in indivisual developers, who offen doesn't want to bother to translate.a little help is vey pleasing.
                2.the translation is an easy job.maybe it can be done by some plug-in components in VS.
                3.not…

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • emulator set date and time automatically setting pull from host machine

If you select the "set date and time autotmatically" setting in the WP emulator, it should sync with the host machine. Too many times when my PC has woken up w/the emulator running the emulator's date/time is stuck from when the PC went to sleep. The incorrect date/time on the emulator can negatively impact external api calls when debugging on theh emulator.

13 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  SDK - Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Volume Purchase Program for Windows Store apps

I regular get a request from customers who are using my Windows Store app (for example schools, but also enterprises), that they want to be able to purchase x number of licenses of my app and be able to sideload the app on x number of devices.

At the moment this is not possible, because if they want to sideload the app, I have to send them an app package. But then the installation is out of my control, and they can install them on as many machine or even distribute them outside their organisation.

So deployment through the Wiindows…

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Fix IE

IE crashes all the time with this page on 8.1 http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/12/sony-the-catch-up-king/

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Allow beta deployment of Windows Apps (like for WP)

For Windows Phone it is possible to submit a beta version and maintain a list of beta users that will receive that update, before it is released to the public. Please make this functionality available for Windows Apps as well.

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Emulate Bad Data Connection - v2.0

I suggest to create another option that alternates "lost of signal" and "bad signal". Create an infinite loop that breakes the connection in a random time. From 1 to 10 sec, for example.

A an ability to the emulator that can emulate a bad data connection so we can discover performance problems before our clients receive it. Things like throttling and dropouts

The new emulators in the Windows Phone 8.1 tooling provide some excellent tools for emulating bad network connections, but there is no option to simulate broken connections

67 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  SDK - Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Please provide an event for the close button at the top right corner to close an app

Earlier it was on OnBackKeyPress that we could figure out that a page is being closed and not needed. So we could clean up th resources (e.g delete files accessed in that page). But the app close by pressing the close button from any page fires the same event OnNavigatedFrom (which could also be for app suspension). So there is no way to figure our app is being closed and not suspended.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Create official graphical equalizer

For handsets who does not have pre-installed or dolby enhancement.
                              Like 630, 525, 530.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Automatically get email when user write a review

I would like to be able to automatically get email when user write a review for my app. Developer should have the option to choose which apps and what period (day/week/month) to receive email for app reviews.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Dev Center Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • DataAnnotations in WP8.1 WinRT - Validation

Bring System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations namespace to Windows Phone 8.1 (WinRT) to allow client side validation like for Windows Store apps.

6 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Devcenter App

Well I think that the devcenter app should be updated/extended so that the app can show the windows store apps as well as the phone apps (which it currently does) Ideally it should also use the live tiles to show the current stats on your apps. And if possible add the ability to connect to the pubcenter as well, or make a 2nd app to handle that. Although I do like the idea of being able to see both the download, and advertising stats for an app at once/one screen or easily go between the two.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Dev Center Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Built-in assmebler support with many syntaxes

For example YASM, GAS(GNU Assembler). Many native libraries have optimized asm code written in different syntaxes and if(I think with a high probability) VS not support such syntax then if you can rewrite that code or if you can't use slower code and this maybe will be bad for user experience and for battery life.
                                      Currently VS have tools such as armasm which can compile working THUMB code for ARM devices. But if you want to build, link and rebuild on updates such code together with your application then you must to create custom build tool. The question here is:…

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  SDK - Tools + Templates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Background capable apps

Why just not ask the user if he want to run some app in background and also provide some Task manager which allow user to manage what app should be now stopped, to make more available resources to other apps and not drain battery. I'm know that all store applications tend to not drain battery. But if developer will create apps such as media converter, media player from scratch, some type of network clients such as torrent clients then user must to run applications in foreground and wait while operation will be performed instead of doing something interesting or just…

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Allow calls to USSD numbers

Calls to USSD numbers should be allowed if the user presses ok to the call. The error: "Please enter service codes directly through the keypad" makes the development of network related apps impossible.
                                          I was making an app that helped users subscribe to various packages provided by the network providers. Many of them included calling to some USSD number like *124# etc, which cannot be done now since windows phone does not allows calls to USSD numbers directly even after the users tap ok.
                                          If that cannot be done, atleast make the USSD API public.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Network APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 107 108
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base