Dev Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows platform?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Custom keyboard via code

Allow to developers create a custom keyboard. eg. choose letters and numbers together

3,265 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      30 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Extend the API to query phone volume and vibration settings, maybe even set them.

Currently, when developing a alarm clock app, there is no way to tell if the user has his phone set to vibrate only, so a soundeffect set by the user is played even if he has set his phone to vibrate. I find this very confusing, even though the builtin alarm clock behaves the same way.
      This would also be good to have for games, so when you launch a game in a quiet environment not all heads turn the user's way :)

4,372 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        196 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow multiple Microsoft Accounts to manage a Dev Center Publisher account

For corporate accounts, sometimes there is a need for more than 1 live id to access the dev. center. For example, more than 1 person from development team needs access to the portal as well as the development lead. Currently, all these people need to share the same live-id which is totally impractical as it can be a personal live id of a manager and he is not willing to share it with others. It would be really nice if access can be given to other live ids as well!

582 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          43 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Integrate BackgroundAudioPlayer and XNA MediaLibrary

Allow the BackgroundAudioPlayer to play tracks from the MediaLibrary. Or allow applications that implement the XNA MediaPlayer class to run in the background.

467 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            11 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • API to directly modify system properties (wifi, mobile data, bluetooth, volume, airplane mode, etc.) instead of using launchers

This can be made safe for users by making the certification requirements very strict when utlizing those APIs with requirements for very clear, concise notice to the users.

1,102 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              13 comments  ·  Sensor + Settings APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Allow Developers to 'roll back' to a previous update without re-certification

Occasionally an update to an app gets past developer & certification testing and is released into the wild. Even if the bug is an easy fix for the developer it will take the certification team the standard 4+ days to certify the new build and publish it.

Instead of this we should be allowed to roll back to a previously published version without going through certification. That way the users will be back on a stable release (or will not be prompted for an update if they were still on the previous release) and the developer will not feel rushed…

421 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks folks for the suggestion and the on-going commentary. We’re marking this as ‘under review’ to acknowledge that the team is aware of this request. This is a very complicated/hard item for implementation, and there is a general feel that the new accelerated certification process alleviates much of the need (as an update can be published, for most folks, in less than an hour – rather than in 4 days).

That being said, continue to weigh in on the comments section.

• Please - allow readonly access to Call History and Text History

For creating more contact centric views of contacts

1,250 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  54 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • SMS Access API

Please provide an API that provides access to the texts to allow developers to implement an application to enable scenarios such as reading or archiving SMS messages.

9,293 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    385 comments  ·  Communication APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Currently, the platform provides a number of SMS Access from a system eventing perspective (as of Windows Phone 8.1), and Windows Phone supports sms backup/restore for consumers as part of the base OS (Settings → Backup). What we don’t provide is a backup API.

Using SMS events: Check out the Build 2014 session (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-518) or MSDN docs on background tasks (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/hh977056.aspx)

Although the capabilities are there from a consumer perspective (the core ask for the suggestion), I’m marking this as ‘Under Review’ for the API perspective. The team is aware of the ask and it is something that is being considered.

• Universal Plug and Play Framework - UPnP / DLNA

Please add full support for UPnP 1.1 / DLNA for third-party applications - perhaps even DPWS for potential future devices. The phone as a media / device controller is growing in popularity (ex: Sonos controllers).

1,940 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      12 comments  ·  Network APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion and commentary. While we have made progress on this front in the 8.0 developer platform, this suggestion is still not fully implemented. That being said, know that it is high on the consideration list for future Windows Phone releases.

Keep those suggestions and votes coming!

• Support for submission packages

A developer would like to ease the app submission process by being able to upload an app submission as a single archive package per submission. This archive (could be a ZIP file) should contain all of the meta-data (could be as an XML file) and supporting files (e.g., XAP, screenshots, etc.) that the Store team needs to ingest the app and provide it to the store. Apple provides a similar capability via iTunes Connect (https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/LanguagesUtilities/Conceptual/iTunesConnect_Guide/8_AddingNewApps/AddingNewApps.html).

This capability would not only enhance the submission experience, but it would also allow for Store submissions to be added and tracked in…

181 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        6 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Prepaid codes for WP apps - Promo Codes for Reviewers

This has been in xbox arcade for awhile now and would be a good addition to the WP marketplace. Would be much easier to promote a paid app when you can give out a few free copies to people!

1,099 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          27 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and the comments. I should have done this sooner, but marking it as ‘under review’ to [at least] acknowledge it.

This is definitely something that we are hearing as a need, and it is definitely high up on the feature consideration list as the team looks at releases.

• Allow direct dialing on PhoneCallTask

Allow users to choose if they want the "call/don't call" prompt dialog when an app invokes PhoneCallTask.

Fast dialing apps are killed by this limitation.

The same way a user can grant for background tasks, he could grant the app permissions to make direct dialing.

932 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Live Tile Update

The Live Tile doesnt seem to update by itself for new items until i open the app and close it. No amount of rebooting/resetting seems to help. While Toast Notifications seem to work "real-time", the Live Tile update simply doesnt. To my mind this defeats the very purpose of a "Live" tile. Went through quite a few forums and this seems to be a common refrain. Using a Lumia 920.

31 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Anand, can you provide some additional information to help us look into this? Are you referring to a specific tile, or live tiles in general?

Currently, Live Tiles are able to update every 30 minutes via a Background Task/Background Agent, or immediately via Push Notifications if the developer has offered that functionality. Please note that if your phone is in Battery Saver mode then live tiles might not update until battery saver has been turned off.

• Rate and Review enhancement

The Windows Phone dev center seriously needs an enhancement to Rate and Review options. There are many features that can be added to improve the whole experience from a developer's perspective.

Web portal enhancements:

1) Ability for Dev to contact the reviewer
                              At times a certain feature isn't clear what is going wrong, or additional info is required from the reviewers. Developers should be given ability to communicate option to email reviewers.
                              If you do not want to display / expose email addresses, consider using Amazon / Ebay member communication mechanism which effectively hides private email address whilst allowing communication. …

1,021 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                15 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • SIP Stack

A business feature that would be really nice to have support for it the ability to tie into a VoIP network for voip phone calls... the most common architecture is the SIP (Session Initiation Protocol). So I would like the ability to configure a SIP client that ties into our VoIP PBX and phone system.. so my WP7 would basically become my desk phone (extension). The only way this would really work well is if it ran in the background like the phone's native phone functionality.

181 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Keep sockets running until app is officially closed

I was excited about sockets support until I found out that on every single app I downloaded that use sockets, if I switch to a different app, the start screen, or turn off my phone's display, the socket disconnects. This sucks, for a number of reasons.

When switching away from my app, *as long as my app is still in the task switcher*, I want to be able to suspend the UI while maintaining my socket connection (and any necessary base operations required to do so). I don't want to have to reconnect to IRC or SSH or RDP every…

483 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    11 comments  ·  Network APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion and commentary. We are not adding this capability in the 8.0 release, but know that it is high on the consideration list for future Windows Phone releases as we look at continuing to improve the background execution experience for apps.

• Add HTTP accept-encoding gzip header support in WebClient

As of now, it's not possible to set the accept-encoding header : it would be so usefull to be able to set gzip compression to save bandwidth especially on 3G !

768 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      20 comments  ·  Network APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion and commentary. While we have not fully implemented this capability in the 8.0 release, the team tells me that it is possible to set this for GETs in this release. That being said, please know that this is also definitely on the consideration list for future Windows Phone releases.

• Show a paid app w/ a "trial" option in the "free apps" category

When I create a paid app with a trial option, many users blow right by it because it doesn't show up in the "free" category even though a light version of the app is free (via the trial).

Some people are resorting to the super-inefficient Apple app store method of releasing 2 versions of the app... one that shows up in the "free" category and another that runs as a paid app. The "trial" is a fantastic concept, but it is hobbled by this oversight

1,436 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        39 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • API for WiFi Connectivity

Wifi Connectivity API Handel's:
                                        1. Getting List of Available WiFi Connections and Details.
                                        2. Search for new WiFi Device.
                                        3. Sending A File to Selected WiFi Device.
                                        4. Sending A File through application to Application using WiFi connection.

209 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          4 comments  ·  Sensor + Settings APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Add a SavePng extension to WriteableBitmap (similar to SaveJpeg)

When you create a tile dynamically, it is common to want to save it as a Png file so that it uses transparency (so that it respects the theme accent color).
                                          However, there is no built in method to save a WriteableBitmap as a png.
                                          There is however a nice extension to save it to jpg, but that doesn't help if you want to use transparency to leverage the theme accent color in your tile.

I think many apps that need to generate a tile dynamically will encounter this issue.

282 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  Live Tiles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base