How can we improve the Windows platform?

Bluetooth Data Transfer APIs

Please provide developer platform support for bluetooth data transfer via SSP (Serial Port Profile). There are many bluetooth devices (e.g., medical devices, automotive, etc.) that we need to connect to.

5,787 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TadejTadej shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Joseph Joseph shared a merged idea: Sync items from PC via bluetooth  ·   · 
    Jeff LawJeff Law shared a merged idea: Bluetooth SPP support  ·   · 
    w41qw41q shared a merged idea: WiFi & Bluetooth API support  ·   · 

The Windows Phone 8.1 release provides significant advances to the Bluetooth stack, and I believe most of this suggestions needs have been met (RFCOMM and name:serialPort is definitely among them),

For more information on the capabilities delivered in 8,1, please refer to the following resources:
    - Windows.Devices.Bluetooth namespace docs (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/windows.devices.bluetooth.aspx)
    - Build 2014 session on Bluetooth (LE) apps (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-519)

213 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • hjhj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmm, I just tested this on WP8, and this implementation seems to have one huge disadvantage, namely the fact that your app for any reason needs to know EXACTLY how many bytes get sent back to phone, which is hardly realistic. The point is that you have to call
        ... await reader.loadAsync(bytes)
        and if there is less bytes available than specified, then the app gets blocked forever, waiting for missing bytes.
        In my case I am trying to talk to car ECU via bluetooth, and the ECU returns different number of bytes in different situation, so my app simply cannot predict how many bytes can come now and later.
        I would mark this implementation as unsatisfactory.
        thanks,
        rosti

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm hoping this covers BLE . I'm trying to write some apps which integrate to ANT+ and BLE and I'm waiting on the BLE (BT 4.0 )aspect.

• DanielDaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about support for HID support? Think about the following scenarios:
        - WP as a remote/Presenter without needing a "server application" on the Windows PC

• Cliff SimpkinsAdminCliff Simpkins (Sr Product Manager, Windows Phone Developer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those interested in sample code to use SPP, it's been pointed out to me that you can use the NXTCar Solution code as a starting point at http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/wpapps/Windows-Phone-8-Networking-835239c1

Line 78 in the file MainPage.xaml.cs is
        await s.ConnectAsync(peerInfo.HostName, "1");
        the 2nd parameter is the RFCOMM Server Channel.

Instead of specifying the server channel, you can also specify the Service UUID:
        await s.ConnectAsync(peerInfo.HostName, "{00001101-0000-1000-8000-00805F9B34FB}" /* This is the UUID for SPP. Please specify the UUID of the Service you would like to connect to. */);

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was planning to change from an HTC Android to a Nokia 920, but as my Pebble watch will not work as things are currently, I am changing my mind.

• Mike FrancisMike Francis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Toyota and Ford both use SPP for the connection between the car and app. (The Entune and Sync apps respectively). This is often a source of disappointment for Windows Phone (7 or 8) users either before they buy the car and find out they can't use the 'apps' feature of the car's entertainment system - or post-purchase when they attempt to connect their Windows Phone to the car, fail, and find out that Windows Phone is not supported. Both iOS and Android support this, putting Windows Phone at a competitive disadvantage in this space. Mobile Operations will support this as well as the car apps use the phone's data connection. Please enable SPP support so that I can use my Windows Phone with apps in my Prius!

• bondo76bondo76 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May we have an update as to the current status and/or progressing relationships in relation to current or future smart watch compatibility? I own a lumia 920 and am very interested in the coming smart watch tech as I am sure most of the current WP8 users are as well. mywatch, metawatch, pebble etc.

• William William commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a bummer. Especially since I was one of the backers for the 'Pebble' watch on Kickstater, needs SSP specifically to operate correctly.

A switch to BACK Android may be on the horizon if basic needs cannot be fulfilled.

• amiramir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide developer platform support for bluetooth data transfer via SSP (Serial Port Profile). There are many bluetooth devices (e.g., medical devices, automotive, etc.) that we need to connect to

• clodyclody commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Too bad that there are no more samples out there in the wild.
        But finally,
        Yes! I succeed at last to read GPS coordinates from an external GPS via bluetooth with Lumia 820!
        Awesome! If no one will come with a sample.. perhaps I will post one on my blog.

Cheers,
        Claudiu

• AnastasiaAnastasia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do I have ti buy a new phone to get a basic feature?!
        Is it so difficult for genious MS personell to add NORMAL bluetooth to WP 7.8?!
        When I bought my WP 7.5 less than a year ago, I really thought, I was investing money in innovation, in a trustable product of a trustable company. And now, my 500 USD turned into garbage, that is not supported even by it's developer?
        MS!!! Would you please return loyalty and trust of your customers.

• David LorenzinDavid Lorenzin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@DirtyHand: Android Store is useless for developers, WP Store is FAR more $$$, and you develop QUALITY Apps in 1/4 of time, nothing on eartch beats Visual Studio 2012 and Microsoft/Nokia developer support :)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base