How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

VPN Support

My country has banned facebook and twitter, which means i need use vpn 2 connect facebook.

2,680 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JimmyJimmy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Matthias PothMatthias Poth shared a merged idea: We need a VPN Direction! For WP 7.5  ·   · 

46 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jürgen WinterJürgen Winter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It means, there is ikev2 to choose as a VPN Option and additionally a direct link to the app store for SSL-VPN Apps. I dont know what that means exactly but i fear i will never contact to my companys Remote Access Server (We have L2TP and SSTP) unless i use my old 6.5 Windows Phone which would be pathetic.

I still only have the Option to choose ikev2 for VPN. Am i missing something? where is L2TP, PPTP and SSTP?

Are there any News about the VPN-Support yet? Is it still possible that it will be included in GDR2 or GDR3? We really want to use WP8 in our Company but the single fact, that it doesn´t Support VPN (l2tp), changes it from "Our Primary choice" to "Completely useless".

• Thomas AdamsThomas Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really needed! And also OpenVPN. At least expose some VPN API calls so that we could create an OpenVPN client ourselves.

• VasiliyVasiliy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are waiting a VPN function for about a 1 year, and still using Lumia 710 (6 phones) by our company

• BaffBaff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can understand the rush to release this new platform (yes new because wp 7.x is a whole other story) before christmas.

But in my opinion, if MS wants to get more corporate customers, it should publish some sort of planning for the next years.

Corporates cannot afford to invest money on uncertain future features.

• Yuriy SamorodovYuriy Samorodov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there.

Guess what? No VPN = no Corporate users! And don't even try to sell Secure SSL as a "better" option.
        BYOD means that if I would be hired by a company with VPN as requirement, this would mean for me that I definittely loose position.
        Think from a different angle - what if my employer accepted an idea to work from home. That would mean that in most cases I do not need a home full size x86 or x64 PC. ARM processor (smartphone or a tablet) connected to whatever I want display device would be just fine for entirely all my work needs.
        So... Just one qusetion. What is your idea of "people centric" interface is all about? Or... Maybe you concider yourselves as People while other ought to follow your thoughts? No way.
        Very disappointed.

Best regards,
        Yuriy

• Dome92Dome92 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The university of Calabria (Unical) is a msnaa partner and a Microsoft affiliate.
        In this university there is a vpn connection not usable by a Windows Phone, but in other plantform are implemented ( eg. Linux, iPhone, android and old Windows mobile) why this function is not implemented?? Is more dufficult??? I think not.

• RobertRobert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well consider his another company that will be standardizing on iOS for our mobile devices going forward. A huge misse dopportunity for MS on this one.

• RobertRobert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ridiculous that a phone they hope they can get enterprises to adopt still does not have VPN. This is the stupidest thing the developers have left out.

• FarmererFarmerer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need the VPN to connect to my Company Mail Server. That is how everyone uses Exchange mail account. Android, IOS and even WP6 support VPN.

• Phycheez.WPhycheez.W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a smartphone without VPN support, it'll fail in some countries like China mainland.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base