How can we improve the Windows platform?

Support File Explorer with transfer to PC option for developers

Sometimes it's usefull to explore and tranfer back files generated in app that's running on phone/emulator back to the developer PC, without additional coding.

967 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    IvanIvan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the commentary thus far. We are not adding this capability into the WPSDK 8.0 tooling release, but know that it is on the consideration list for future Windows Phone releases.

As mentioned in the comments, there are a variety of ways of accomplishing access via the included Isolated Storage Explorer and a variety of community tools. Marking this as ‘under review’ to keep it on the tools team radar for improving this experience in the future.

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • GPT_DevGPT_Dev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with some of the posters below and would take it one step further - open, unencumbered shared storage with directory browsing and editing capability, on plug-in SD RAM cards at least (as seen in Windows 8, 7, and previous, also in Windows Mobile 5+ and Windows CE) should also be available in Windows Phone 8 and up.

From speaking with several people who are or were on the Windows Mobile and Phone teams over the last four years, it is telling that not one of them has ever been able to give me a cogent argument as to why this is so. It can't be because it's technically challenging (in re. previous paragraph).

Heck, even plain-old feature phones, like the Motorola Razr, had this ability.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

also the spreadsheet feature - one cannot add /delete rows - cannot unfill the cell color - many many limitations as against similar alternative for android devices.. pls consider

• Gary RitterGary Ritter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

with the iso file explorer this isn't really a big deal. HOWEVER: a cool update that sort of matches this would be able to point your dev environment to a folder of files you retrieved from a previous test (or generated outside the app) and have those files auto copy to the device when you deploy.

So then the test data you've accumulated sort of "persists" through deployments to test devices or more importantly, the emulators.

• Juliana PeñaJuliana Peña commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe the Windows Phone SDK already included a program that dumps the isolated storage of an app: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v7.1\Tools\IsolatedStorageExplorerTool\ISETool.exe"

• Cd4017Cd4017 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed being able to transfer any type data of files between pc and phone should be allowed e.g. I would like to transfer a few Pdf from my pc to my phone

• Maxim V. PavlovMaxim V. Pavlov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also we need to allow users to transfer files to their on-device application storage via Zune. (iOS allows similar functionality and this is very widely used in the iTunes/iOS world, adding business value to Apple's platform)

• cheche commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this would be great for end users, not just devs. End users should be able to explore their local files from within the phone, as well as on an attached desktop computer through Zune or Windows Explorer.

• Gennady BoltvinGennady Boltvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need functional OS and phone, which will make any my wishlist. I WANT CONTROL MY PHONE! And I Move GO to Android, because Windows Phone 7 OS IS NOT give full freedom for me. People, which development OS WP7 is stupid dev, because NOT understand this idea – IDEA for full control and freedom work with phone. If dev cant understand it simple IDEA – WP7 will be epic fail on market. I threw in the траш box now my HTC HD7… because WP7 is not a modern OS, it back become a thing of the past (at 2005 year or old).

• Kris BKris B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

not just for devs, I want to be able to just plug and play kind of as a USB mass storage device and transfer videos _without_ having to convert them

Feedback and Knowledge Base