How can we improve the Windows platform?

Create a structured mechanismn for devs to market their Apps

One of the biggest issues that devs face is one that only rears it's head quite a way into the process as a whole. How should an independent developer go about marketing their Apps in order to increase sales?

Some kind of dedicated program from Microsoft aimed at independent developers in this area would be very welcome!.

86 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ian WalkerIan Walker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my biggest concern is with marketing so far is that unless a user "stumbles" upon a new application or it somehow gets featured, people may not find a game in a sub-genre that really interests them.

As a phone user, the market seems flooded with a ton of crap applications. I'd really like a way to search by application area, keywords, app ratings, dev rating and new-ness.
        What I don't want is to have to research the marketplace from a PC to try to stumble onto something I might like. I'd much rather peruse the marketplace while I'm on my phone and find applications in a structured way.

• Roger WomackRoger Womack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trial mode and 'More Apps' button that links to your other apps so they cross promote each other works well for us

• Greg BrayGreg Bray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you are looking for a way to promote your apps I would highly recommend checking out http://adduplex.com for either their paid campaigns or free ad exchange programs. I have used both and have had very good results. The paid ads generated much better Click Through Rates than any other method of advertising (Facebook, google/bing, buysellads.com, etc) and the free exchange is a great way to get free ad impressions.

Feedback and Knowledge Base