How can we improve the Windows platform?

Provide ability for developers to respond to user reviews/feedback

Currently the only way to reply to user feedback (posted in marketplace) is to put in your own review - which of course is only possible if your xbox live account is located in exact same region (and then other users may get annoyed based on what star rating you've applied to your response).

Although many developers (such as myself) put in direct 'tech support' email functions inside the apps - users unfortunately don't commonly use these.

Many times I see a 'bad review' from a user in another market - which is raised because user has not understood some functionality offered in app - or they have hit a bug common to entire platform (ie. inability to update a trial app on pre-nodo devices, problems with phone freezing or resetting, problems with live tiles disabling themselves due to connection problems, trying to use fm radio without aerial - to name a few of the common ones).

Many of these issues could be resolved quickly and to customer's satisifcation if only there was some way to reply and engage with them. (and hopefully users who recieve this direct engagement will then fix up a bad star rating after they understand problem is not necessarily a fault of the app itself).

[Admin edit - on a related note, the following suggestion is available for those concerned with handling spam reviews in the WP Store: http://wpdev.uservoice.com/suggestions/4271459]

2,337 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mobilewaresmobilewares shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    FrankFrank shared a merged idea: It should be possible to contact reviewer of my apps or to comment reviews.  ·   · 
    Dmitry NaboychenkoDmitry Naboychenko shared a merged idea: The ability to reply to a comment.  ·   · 
    Hermit DaveHermit Dave shared a merged idea: developer app feedback for reviews  ·   · 
    Konstantin ZaikinKonstantin Zaikin shared a merged idea: Let developer respond to user reviews in Marketplace  ·   · 
    GregGreg shared a merged idea: rating  ·   · 
    Sean BowrinSean Bowrin shared a merged idea: add rebuttal to comments  ·   · 

47 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bill HenningBill Henning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cliff, is this coming to Windows Store apps too? The blog and info I've seen in the past only seemed to indicate WinPhone apps. But I need this for my Windows Store apps.

• Harald-René FlaschHarald-René Flasch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

mobilewares, you are not very patient? Just kidding. I guess, 3(!) years is a long time to wait and I hope that all developers will get this feature soon!

• mobilewaresmobilewares commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Cliff -

Great to hear this is coming. So given I'm the guy who raised this request in the first place (and have patiently waited for 3 years) - is there any chance I can be one of those developers who gets access to try this out early? 8)

• Harald-René FlaschHarald-René Flasch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the Info, Cliff! When will it be available (days, weeks, months) to us/developers?
        Any chance that the DevCenter Windows Phone App will provide the feedback feature too?

• Gautam KabirajGautam Kabiraj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a must have feature. I hate it when people give negative reviews like "This app s*cks!!!" but won't care to explain what's wrong with the app. And like the other guy told below, add this feature to WP Dev Center app as well.

• Bill HenningBill Henning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are over 2,000 votes on this. Clearly it's something that developers want and Google Play has had this for a long time (https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/138230?hl=en). Our "Code Writer" app is overall rated very well but there also are a number of times we get low ratings and the related comments are such that if we could point the user in the right direction, I bet they would revise their rating up a star or two. I can't state how important it is to have some form of two way communication, even if it's just the ability for us to have a single reply to a user, they get notified via email, and we get notified again by email if they update their comment. This was requested two years ago and people want it. Please add it!

• MarcMarc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A one start review without any explanation. A developer needs something to address this kind of abuse. Just the ability to delete reviews without comments would be a great step.

As a developer I work hard to make my application look good and legitimate criticism is one thing, abuse is another. The very first rating on one of my latest applications was a single star, reason; "Left handed option needed for a paid app." After looking carefully at my application all I can say is, 'I don't see a single thing I could change to improve the experience for a Left handed person.' That single star will haunt it's launch. You really got to help the develper out!

• merqdemerqde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow direct response to reviews for developers. It's very important to stay in touch with them.

Google Play offers real names and allows answers to reviews for developers! And they send an email to the customers if developers answers to reviews.

• Luca7993Luca7993 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think is a great idea. I have some reviews for my app that are help request from the user (there is the feedback button but they rate the application with question) but I can't answer to them (and probably the user expect that I can contact him)

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is very much needed. There are comments claiming that a feature is missing from my app although it is present. I want to reply to those explaining how to use it.

Also there are comments like "this app sucks why the feature x is not present?" or "why is this app not get updated more often?" when my app is free, I actually have a full-time job where I spent most of my time, I can just do development on my free time and I want to explain these factors to the user so that he/she can appreciate what he/she gets.

• Henry EdwardsHenry Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it would be far better to be able to email them, but not disclosing the email address of the users to notify that there is an update and that the problem is fixed. Or just simply emailing the user, but never release the email.

• maciej pszczolińskimaciej pszczoliński commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this feature is important! because I often got comments like that:

"this app sucks, because it doesn't has feature FOO_BAR" ... but in fact my app was not designed to have this feature at all, or there are reasons why this feature does not works (for e.g. your device has not compass or whatever).

for such stupid comments - I have already got few 1/5 stars comments :/

• MaxMax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it's bad idea, look at the google play right now. I don't want it.

• Stone SinaStone Sina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To people who think this feature will open up doors for argument.

As a developer, it is my responsibility to make sure that I won't start nasty argument to damage the reputation of myself or my app. If I do, my potential customers will get the message and this will only hurt me.

We need the option. How to utilize this option is entirely up to me.

For the lack of a better analogy. It is like, I need a screwdriver to do my job better. You do not give me that screwdriver because I might stick it into someone's eye.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base