How can we improve the Windows platform?

Support intercepting incoming calls and message

It would be great if we will get some support for intercepting incoming calls and smss

1,576 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Oualid BOUTEMINEOualid BOUTEMINE shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Eduardo C SoaresEduardo C Soares shared a merged idea: A blacklist app for windows phone 8 will be nice.  ·   · 
    Ahmed DawodAhmed Dawod shared a merged idea: API to intercept incoming calls  ·   · 

Hi, as part of Windows Phone 8.1, apps can register to receive system events, including incoming SMS messages, and then act upon them.

For more information…
    Using SMS events: Check out the Build 2014 session (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-518) or MSDN docs on background tasks (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/hh977056.aspx)

40 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • invirtuxinvirtux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I watched the video and read the documentation you provided. But I didn't see how to register to intercept incoming calls. Can you be more specific on the link. thanks

• Jakob AndersenJakob Andersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is still no support for intercepting SMS messages since the "SystemTriggerType.SmsReceived" is not available for 3rd party applications. So no change from wp8.

• PhilLaBarPhilLaBar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amjad posted this on - January 23, 2013 5:54 am

I want to add an important point here, and I often wonder why MS has ignored this design point.
        Smartphones are becoming everything but a phone. The phone part is still the same, nothing new.
        One of the killer feature will be integrating desktop with my phone. Once in my office, I dont want to pick my phone anymore. I just use my desktop to receive calls, make calls, send/receive sms. I want to dial using my desktop and use PC speakers and mic.

Just this one feature can boost the Windows phone sales many times.

I can't believe he posted that a year ago, and this ability still doesn't exist.
        The ability for a WP8 device to interact with Windows Desktop / Surface / XBoxOne just makes sense. My WP8 may be in my back pack or charging on the kittle counter while I am using my desktop or Xbox. If the phone has an incoming call or text it would be nice to see a message on the desk top with the Caller ID or text data. And as Amjad said even better to respond from those devices.

Here is hoping Threshold pulls it all together.
        Phil

• hanif robbanihanif robbani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me and my friend managed to create an SMS Spam detector and filter application in android. Thats proven to be very useful for people around me, to blocks spammy ads, and fraud messages. And its quite accurate. We've been looking for opportunity to implement the same apps for Windows Phone. It has been a year, and still no good news about SDK support for intercepting incoming message. Hope this feature could be available soon.

• sunilsunil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is most desirable feature for app developer. I am looking to develop and app based on this feature, but unfortunately there is no support to get notified for incoming and outgoing messages. this is a show stopper for me.

• Blake DavidsonBlake Davidson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a business need for this. We want to create a whitelist that only allows certain numbers to call or be called.

• Nick RossNick Ross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company requires this feature. We provide a number of consulting services to our clients, one of these is a phone consulting package. Clients are required to purchase consulting packages in advance. Their calls to us (our incoming calls) are handled by the phone, based on the status of the package purchased by the caller. It's important for us to be able to handle these incoming calls seamlessly.

• SoftwareMK: Mikael KoskinenSoftwareMK: Mikael Koskinen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is included in the current version of OS (even for incoming calls), it's just not available for 3rd party developers.

Since the Amber update, one of the pre-installed apps intercepts all the incoming calls and if the caller is unknown, it tries to get the caller's name from web.

• Brett EmersonBrett Emerson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just sat down to write an app to allow a user to route text messages from selected contacts to a password protected app the user could use for privacy reasons.

There’s lots of popular apps for Android that do this. Now I find out I can’t do this for WP8. One less future app for the app store, and a great business idea down the toilet. Wow.

• Anand HariharanAnand Hariharan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here is my gripe:

My wife is getting calls from a number every minute on her phone. Seems to be some automated system calling her.

My service provider does not block calls. +
        No app on the market that can help me intercept the call and block it. +
        No API for me to write my own application
        =
        Windows phone unusable to use and to develop for.

Consider this:
        Shady companies could use this to move market share away from Windows. I wont be surprised if this is happening already (Pay attention MS and Nokia)

Hope this gets fixed soon. As much as i love the WP8, ill be putting it up for sale today.

• Anders GardebringAnders Gardebring commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really? You can't hookup incoming calls to custom apps? This is for me a showstopper. I currently have two apps on my android phone, one blocks incoming calls/sends to voicemail based on a blacklist (I need this, I get quite a bit of sales and other calls I dont want to get interrupted by). The other app look up numbers from an online numbef database so numbers I dont have in my phonebook still gets a name to them. I am a senior .NET developer and I want to switch to Windows phone (I already use a Surface Pro as laptop/tablet since it runs Visual Studio and other dev-related software) and I would like to get into windows phone development to. However, without these API-hooks available my user experience would be much worse than I currently have on Android so no. No windows phone for me until this is fixed.

• Christopher MadisonChristopher Madison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As third party devices like Google Glass and Pebble become more common WP8 will become less and less popular simply due to it's inability to integrate with them. These devices are perfect for displaying incoming calls and SMS messages yet right now Andriod will be the only OS capable of displaying this info.

• Radek VoltrRadek Voltr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SMS interceptor is already in API so it is only matter of extension of documentation and allow it for normal developers.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpdevelop/thread/e92e2e78-222d-4e51-a396-a3f36b2fe080/

If you prepare it for new WP9 (I suppose that MS will follow WP7.5 > WP8 and update will not be possible :-( ) , it is nice. But if it will be for OEM only ? Waste of time and you can spent time on implementation of changing SMS tone on current WP8

• AmjadAmjad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to add an important point here, and I often wonder why MS has ignored this design point.

Smartphones are becoming everything but a phone. The phone part is still the same, nothing new.

One of the killer feature will be integrating desktop with my phone. Once in my office, I dont want to pick my phone anymore. I just use my desktop to receive calls, make calls, send/receive sms. I want to dial using my desktop and use PC speakers and mic.

Just this one feature can boost the Windows phone sales many times.

• Håvard MelingHåvard Meling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to intercept all the telemarketers like I can on the android. Also automatic callerid from yellow/white pages. Please add this, the user needs to approve permission so shouldnt be a big privacy issue.

• Baldur ÁrnasonBaldur Árnason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Iceland people enrolled in the search and rescue get a sms when something happens. That can happend day or night. It would be great if I could intercept those messages analyze them after importance and play a custom rington, flashing, etc (ignoring silent if the emergency is severe ) and even popup a dialog with pre-made response messages. On other platforms people have been using fire alarm apps for this purpose. But they don't exist on windows phone because this feature is missing.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally, I could see have a great application that runs in the background that filters calls and texts from people not in your address book and simply blocking them from reaching you. For example, when you get tired of political robo-calls illegally ignoring the national do-not-call list

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base