How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

SMS notification/subscription support

Application developers currently (pre-Mango) have no facilities to access the c contents of an incoming SMS message. It would be great if applications could register for such a capability thus enabling scenarios such as SMS challenge authentication.

43 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Vassilis TouloumtzoglouVassilis Touloumtzoglou shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MartinMartin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I little bit programmed for my HTC HD2. I was and I am really disappointed by reception of SMS in HD2. But OK, it was no Microsoft fault as HTC overrides MS standard event handler. BTW: At the end of day I solved this issue and my application is listening incoming SMS well.

And with new Windows Phone I am shocked again.
        - Why C# code for sending SMS used in Win 6.x could not be used in Windows Phone?
        - Why developer has no chance to listen incoming SMS? It was common even in not so nice Java ME. And it works in C# for Win 6.x and Android also and easily.

I wanted to develop one application for Windows Phone but because of "problem" with incoming SMS I had to leave my idea.

Request to MS: Please allow developers to send and receive SMS easily - using same code as developers are being used from Win 6.x

Thank you,
        Martin

• papaharzipapaharzi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if an app could catch incoming SMS, and if the SMS has a predefined format, it should be used by the app, and it should be prevented that the SMS gets into the inbox.

What I would like to do:
        I would like to have the possibility to have my app being controlled by incoming SMS.

What I would like to do for my actual problem:
        The app tries to connect to my server application. When the server receives this connection request it will send an SMS to the app's phone, which contains encryption data and key. The app shall then use this data to encrypt/decrypt TCP packets for further communication with the server. The server shall as well be able to send SMS containing new encryption keys to the app to change/update encryption while communication is active.

This all shall be done to secure communication over internet. I already have such a solution running on multiple android devices, but since I also like WP7 quite a lot I'd love to expand our
        product portfolio as well to WP7.

Feedback and Knowledge Base