How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

Enable Offline Storage for Maps Control Tiles

The TileSource class enables developers to provide custom tile sources for the Bing Maps control (such as OpenStreetMap), but requires an absolute URI to provide tiles. Given the frequently disconnected nature of WP7 applications, it would be better if it was possible to provide tiles from isolated storage to enable map downloading and access to maps when offline.

973 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Derek LakinDerek Lakin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cliff, can you please give an update on this? Is this maybe on a roadmap for the next version of the SDK? Its very important for us and we are currently spending lots of time to find workarounds, but none of them are really satisfying.
        Thanks, Tom

• TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any progress or update on this? We are doing gps-software on windows-pc since 15 years and would love to develop a WP8-app as a mobile front end, but these two issues:
        - base layer cant be disabled
        - no offline tiles
        are show stoppers for us.
        Before I start with workarounds I just would like to know, if there are some improvements planned to the map-control.
        Thanks, Tom

• Daniels DanilinsDaniels Danilins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently I'm using StreamSocketListener on localhost to workaround offline tiles issue. So it is not so urgent for me. But I have another 2 show stoppers. Without them I will have to use the old map control. First, it is not possible to add a route with custom points to map (without using RouteQuery, for example if your App offline or you already has the path coordinates). Second, not possible to disable base tiles layer and street names.
        I have created an "idea" for the first one, but it does not get many votes. http://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-app-platform/suggestions/3351645-create-a-new-route-object-without-using-routequery
        I suppose not because people don't want this, but because it is hard to find.

• Cliff SimpkinsAdminCliff Simpkins (Sr Product Manager, Windows Phone Developer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi folks, now that I have time to give UserVoice some update love, I did a couple things here:
        - Changed the title to reflect the tiles focus of this request
        - Changed the title to reflect the Maps control (as opposed to focus on Bing Maps control, which isn't getting much dev focus)
        - Toggled the status back to 'Under Review'

As always, thanks for the commentary and keeping us honest. :)

• Daniels DanilinsDaniels Danilins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New map does not allow to remove the base layer. All labels are painted over custom tiles.
        The new map control is not usable! The old control was better. Please remove the obsolete from old map.

• Douglas LaudenschlagerDouglas Laudenschlager commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Local Uris are not supported for TileSource in Windows Phone 8. I have requested that we remove the "Completed" status from this request.

• jaybo_nomadjaybo_nomad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

http://greatmaps.codeplex.com doesn't support W8 or WP8, right?
        Cliff, this item is not completed as far as anyone can tell. No Topo, no FAA, no nautical charts, no GIS on WP8 without this feature! This a big hole, easily filled if you provided custom tile sources with the ability to specify isolated storage Urls.

• clodyclody commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear MS.. this is NOT yet done! Or if it is.. please document it!
        We have our own tiles and GIS data to display!!!!
        Please show us how we can consume it in offline/cached scenarios.
        Thx!

• jaybo_nomadjaybo_nomad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no documentation regarding how to access offline, local tiles for custom tile layers in the WP8 map control . How is this done?

• Daniel DDaniel D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The workaround would be sockets that can listen for local incoming connections. This way we could build a local http tiles server. But there is no listen method in current sockets :(

• RobinRobin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep either isostore of file uris should work when a tile exists in isolated storage. Except they don't...

• HeinrichHeinrich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's what I liked about my old Nokia phone - offline map data. Currently with WP I always have to worry about roaming costs in Europe. You can spend a lot of money on this when travelling to nearby countries. Besides: ever tried going online somewhere deep in a valley while hiking?

• Hades32Hades32 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I so somewhere that Mango supports "isostore:/xxxx.aaa" URIs. Did you try if that works now?

Feedback and Knowledge Base