How can we improve the Windows platform?

Low Latency Sound Effect support

Needed to create pro level sequencers, synths and music creation related apps!

179 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ian WalkerIan Walker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Louis KiphenLouis Kiphen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

3 years old and still relevant. <10ms roundtrip (microphone to speaker) would be very nice to have.
        I don't expect professional level (<5ms for guitar, etc. <1ms for drums), and professionals probably aren't the target audience anyway, but the latency available right now just isn't useable for real-time DSP.
        VOIP apps could benefit from better audio latency as well.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WP has the potential of being the most sophisticated mobile OS (with the experience and expertise of Microsoft)! Without proper real time audio, there is a large range of possible and attractive applications unavailable to this OS, while other mobile OS have that capability.

• Antoine CloutierAntoine Cloutier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1000
        Ironically, WP7 had better latency figures than WP8. With WP8, the XNA audio APIs have apparently been shoved further up the audio stack: WP7 apps perform much worse on WP8 in this regard. (Of course, XNA being shelved/killed, this kind of performance degradation was to be expected.)
        On Windows Phone 8, WASAPI is the bottommost API one can use to capture and render audio. On the Windows desktop, you can achieve very low latency figures (< 5ms) with this API (in exclusive mode). On Windows Phone however, the best latency figure you can get is around 70ms (from code execution to render) or 140ms (from capture to render). This is really bad for real-time audio. Below 20ms, the brain perceives delayed audio as some kind of reflection of the original impulse (akin to reverberation). Above 20ms, the delayed audio is perceived as a distinct echo, which is totally inappropriate when playing an instrument. The lack of low-latency audio in the platform is a major roadblock in the creation of a serious musical app.

Until Microsoft prioritizes this, iOS will keep enjoying all the nice audio and music creation apps (and Android too, they're catching up fast). And WP will only get the lamer ones. If we're lucky. WinRT/WinPRT people, take action please!

Additional info:
        http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpdevelop/thread/14f96b68-60e3-47a8-8d96-9cf6fe2c347a

I'd be happy to further discuss this with Microsoft. I have apps that I'd like to bring to the platform.

Feedback and Knowledge Base