How can we improve the Windows platform?

Better audio APIs for musician apps/tools

If we could get better support in the XNA libraries for some of these audio functions, it would open up some cool opportunities to develop apps for musicians. Couple of things I do regularly with my band that I’d love to do with my phone (currently not possible with the API set on the phone):
1) Adjust pitch during playback for songs in my media library (example: single might use this to find a better key to perform a song). Today, I have to pull the songs into something like Reaper, change the key, export it back out, sync to phone. I’d love to just do this on the phone.
2) Adjust payback speed – lots of musicians will do this to study a complex part in a song to break it down and analyze what the original artist was doing (e.g. – think Neal Peart). For some reason, we decided not to implement playback speed support on WP7.

The only way I can do either today is to push off the data to the cloud and manipulate it…. which is way too slow to be practical. The phone is plenty capable if the APIs were exposed to do it.

169 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Reed RobisonReed Robison shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • KorhaanKorhaan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just having access to a decoded PCM bitstream like frontier suggested or even the encoded data would help a lot.

• frontierfrontier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What would be excellent here is if one could obtain the decoded audio bitstream from a song straight from the XNA mediaplayer class (or song and video classes). Also having the ability to push that bitstream easily to the speaker.

Then you could slow it down, speed it up, apply a filter or even stream it to another device.

I need this for an app idea I had.

• cheche commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would add MIDI support to this list, unless I missed it somehow.

• joelmartinezjoelmartinez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just add XACT support, that lets game developers write cross platform code between windows, xbox, and wp7 without having to resort to the soundeffect API

Feedback and Knowledge Base