How can we improve the Windows platform?

Deploy while debugging/deployment should unlock the screen

When developing with the phone connected via USB, having the screen lock itself is very annoying, and makes app deployment fail.

Some WP7 phone (not the AT&T Samsung Focus) have a "never" screen timeout. However this is for battery and powered scenarios, and you don't want to be manually switching it back and forth all the time. Some of us are stuck with a phone that locks itself all the time. The screen lock also interrupts or prevents app deployment. This makes Visual Studio fail to start the debugging session.

An app deployment should unlock the screen and reset the lock timer to zero.

55 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sandy ArmstrongSandy Armstrong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is hugely annoying. My device is not PIN locked, so there is no security reason why deploying to the device should not automatically unlock the screen.

Obviously if you have a PIN lock or some other protection on your lock screen, that should block deployment. But not when it's just a swipe. My device does not have an option to turn off screen locking entirely (lumia 900).

• DennisDennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Obviously, the device would need to be dev unlocked, so I don't think there's any security risk with this feature. I would assume that Allan's comment is referring to a phone that has a lock screen password. Can you currently dev unlock a device who's screen is locked? I wouldn't think so.

• Allan Agerholm DahlAllan Agerholm Dahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Think about the scenario where I steal a phone from someone else and start deploying apps... Where is the security then?

• ESMESM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nobody looses anything by this feature. Moreover, an annoying need to rerrun the debug session will be removed and that definitely speeds debugging and development.

Feedback and Knowledge Base