How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

Allow 3rd party apps to publish to People hub / messaging

It would be beneficial to allow other messenger apps and social apps to come on board and allow their updates to show up in the people hub and messages to show up in the integrated messaging system. This would be great for any 3rd party app that has any social or messaging means to be able to leverage that kind of interconnectivity, example another IM provider (ex: Yahoo), social network provider, even apps for forum postings.

1,354 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brandon SproulBrandon Sproul shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    FotisFotis shared a merged idea: A nice way to integrate services into windows phone!  ·   · 
    StanStan shared a merged idea: Allow "Providers" for People Hub messaging threads  ·   · 
    Rahul MathurRahul Mathur shared a merged idea: Unified Facebook messaging service in People's Hub  ·   · 
    Thijs De JongThijs De Jong shared a merged idea: Allow developers to integrate their IM-application with the Threads feature  ·   · 

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tiemen_STiemen_S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or at least the binding should be able to be extended to the point where apps can push data into the messaging app (as it's already not a hub anymore...)

• TiemenTiemen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No. This is simply not solved with contact binding. It's the whole point that you don't need additional apps, but one centralized hub! This is just some kind of workaround and I would still like to see the idea of a real hub experience (like the current facebook integration) to be possible for 3rd party services. This was a major selling point of WP, why move away from that and develop a whole system that doesn't give a nice and native experience?

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should have been the entire point of the hubs since day 1.

• Mike BaughanMike Baughan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This makes so much sense - allows you to use any of your IM applications + SMS with a common UI. The whole purpose of a hub is to integrate common functions into a single point of access. It also makes sense to be able to have your 3rd party IM contacts integrated (either as new contacts or linked with existing contacts).

Similar integration should be available in the music and pictures hubs as well. To a degree, there is integration, but deeper integration would really make WP stand out.

• Asheem Asheem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important to he idea of having Hubs. They are not useful, unless they can be plugged into by others. Even MS's Lync app should get absorbed in to the Messaging Hub. Or at least have an option of using them separately or via the hub.

An API story around this will allow users to have a robust user experience across all messaging systems with the ability to use the app, if they want the independent features of that app.

• brianministerbrianminister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have my own corp sites that I would like to integrate the feeds for both messaging and community content, plus our internal contacts, into the windows phone.

Since these contacts are separate from our mail system, to prevent spamming, this would be very useful.

• nero88nero88 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I often miss chat messages because they're buried into fb messages, if you can give me the entire conversation this problem would not occurr.

• EmilEmil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i agree using the new facebook message service (merge chat and offline messages) in message hub

• Ivan VaculaIvan Vacula commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't really care about the People hub access that much, but being able to integrate an IM into Messaging is essential.

• adamopinheiroadamopinheiro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would make a huge difference. whatsapp, kik, all messaging apps should be integrated in the messaging hub.

• Peter FaresPeter Fares commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is extremely important. Please allow third parties to plug into the messaging app and add messaging services. I need a GTalk client on my phone. GTalk and good turn by turn navigation are the only features I miss from Android.

• appie flappieappie flappie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! This must be available Microsoft, because otherwise apps like Whatsapp would have to be launched outside the hub and that means less integration!

Feedback and Knowledge Base