How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

Video Chooser Task

It would be good to have a Video Chooser Task that works in the same way as the PhotoChooserTask. The reason for this is for users to be able to do things like apply filters, add audio tracks, crop out a relevant section, etc... of a recorded video and saving it back to the MediaLibrary. I assume saving to the MediaLibrary will be part of the AR functionality in mango anyway?

300 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    StinomusStinomus shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    David LorenzinDavid Lorenzin shared a merged idea: save video to camera roll  ·   · 

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this feature has only 181 votes. I hate it every time I get asked to send a video to someone via Whatsapp only to have to tell the person "sorry, I can't do that on Windows Phone".

• OrelOrel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After being so late in releasing this essential feature. At least make it awesome.
        Implement an inner compression tool - like the one in your mail app - that developers can use (optionally) with their sharing apps.
        That will make it a lot easier to send videos to friends using whatsapp etc.

• BrandonBrandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The AT&T locker app was showcased by WP Central today. When I saw the article, the first thing I noticed - as a developer of an app that DESPERATELY needs to do this - was that there's a little instruction on the screen "click here to pick photos & videos to upload".
        What?? I thought. No way. Sure enough I had a buddy get the AT&T Locker app. *HE CAN PICK VIDEOS FROM THE CAMERA ROLL TO UPLOAD*!
        What does this mean? it means that the ability is already IN an SDK that "2nd party" partners are being given, and us 3rd party devs are still being shut out.

I'm extremely disappointed in this.

• Stephan SabelStephan Sabel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2 years later and nothing happened, very disappointing.
        How should developers build apps with the same quality like the android apps with those limitations.

• Brandon AyersBrandon Ayers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without this it makes it impossible to upload already recorded videos to services such as youtube and facebook. Not good.

• Matt MunichMatt Munich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am so disappointed that this did not make the Windows Phone 8 cut, but am pleased to hear that it is "high on the consideration list". I submitted this as a question the other day during the live Q & A session that was streamed on channel9 the other day, and was bummed when it wasn't.

iOS and Android devices have had this capability for quite some time. Hopefully (for our Windows Phone efforts) this will happen sooner versus later.

• Phong VuPhong Vu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is a must have one. It is available in all other platforms and it is part of multimedia services.

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's important to be able to access to the video media library. To send video through an app or create an app for video editing.

• Andy WeinsteinAndy Weinstein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Beyond a choose - how about something which would return a collection of user-created videos, so that we can programatically decide how to show them to the user and be able to transfer them to web sites.
        Important from my point of view to differentiate between user-created videos (from device camera) and commercial content. If you don't want to give us the commerical videos, at least give us meta-data like you do for music.

• Ja_riseJa_rise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yep add something.i receive sometimes attachements with my emails like video,but i cant record it in my phone :-(

• DanielDaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also mean that we could develop movie editing applications! Oh wait no it doesn't C# will be to slow. :(

Feedback and Knowledge Base