How can we improve the Windows platform?

customize pinned tiles for html5 applications

With the news that IE9 will be supported in the next update I thought it would be a good idea if Windows Phone 7 supported additional meta-data on a website to customize the appearance of a pinned tile.
Similar to how you can drag the favicon onto the taskbar on desktop IE9, websites should be able to provide additional meta-data such as an icon, a tile colour, a location where the phone can periodically get and display a small amount of data (such as a football score or the number of unread emails), the option to hide the address bar when the site is launched (giving it a native app feel) and/or the ability to add site specific shortcuts to the "more" bar of the browser.

146 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chris RChris R shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this ever going to be supported? Inability to pin websites with developer specific images is a little ridiculous. iOS and android have been doing it for years and its dead simple.

• AliAli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am so amazed that Windows Phone does not support pinning websites. The meta code for the Surface Tablet should be supported in Windows Phone. Is that complicated?

• John PalmerJohn Palmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to add a javascript library to website so that when a site is pinned to start, the shortcut would behave like a live tile (using postbacks, etc).

• AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even just having the tile use the favicon would look better than the preview, in my opinion at least.

• Liam GLiam G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be awesome. Our users would use this, I know I certainly would. If you can do it with a iDevice, why shouldn't you be able to do it with WP?

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important to us. Even if it is not a live tile, it is very important that the tile be the image of our choosing. Our site users constantly access the web site and pin it to their start page.

Feedback and Knowledge Base