How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

SMS Access API

Please, provide a way to backup the texts.
Or, at least, provide a API access to the texts to allow developers to implement an application for SMS backing up.

8,658 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Marco MuraMarco Mura shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: open sms up to create, read, or delete sms.  ·   · 

Currently, the platform provides a number of SMS Access from a system eventing perspective (as of Windows Phone 8.1), and Windows Phone supports sms backup/restore for consumers as part of the base OS (Settings → Backup). What we don’t provide is a backup API.

Using SMS events: Check out the Build 2014 session (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-518) or MSDN docs on background tasks (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/hh977056.aspx)

Although the capabilities are there from a consumer perspective (the core ask for the suggestion), I’m marking this as ‘Under Review’ for the API perspective. The team is aware of the ask and it is something that is being considered.

365 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • lnerelnere commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ludicrous state of affairs. All people want is the ability to read and write SMS messages. The nonsense of only device to device backup is incredible but what I've come to expect of the windows phone team. Windows phone lags in the market place because developers are hamstrug with crazy decisions like this.

• GoyakGoyak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just crazy. I feel like I went backwards when when I got my WP. I loved the phone. Couldn't believe when I discovered had no txt b/u like my other very old ones had. Give away 70% of the things it can do for that one thing. Let's face it, the bulk ain't exclusive, could've got all the rest in any phone.
        These days messaging as important as any correspondence.
        For pity's sake. They are used in court as evidence. My mothers death was texted by my sister. The confirmation of the loss of 370 was sent to passengers' families by text. Huge stuff.
        How would you guys feel if we said that when you move house, you must tear up your business contracts, throw your your first love letters in the garbage, and burn your children's birthday cards to you. And the rest. Forget the important day to day correspondence with lifelong loved ones and friends.
        Years down the track and and it is being 'considered'????
        Also crazy that an average consumer like me is mucking around and risking permanent damage with root kits to try to access whatever is currently out there - put together by talented yet hamstrung developers who are willing to give their time and expertise for nothing.
        And yet I paid MS. I also pay for an extra sim to keep my old phone alive and ask that texts are sent there so they won't be lost for all eternity. An expensive, clumsy exercise that is irritating to me and my correspondents - and one that just should not be necessary at this stage of the game.
        Wake up. Please.

• pjeneipjenei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You must be kidding! It's ridiculous that Windows 8 (!) has an SMS API (Windows.Devices.Sms namespace) for years now and you are still considering to create the same API for the phone.
        I'm a .NET developer but would never recommend anyone using a Windows Phone who has anything to migrate from another phone - in other words, who is over 8-10 years, depending on her parents.

• Caleb KingCaleb King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This suggestion blows my mind. In the three years since I suggested it, I have bought three windows phones. Nokia, which had the feature on a phone which gave me the idea before I switched to WP7 has come into the Microsoft fold. I have been so hopeful. My skills as a developer have grown by leaps and bounds. I have written data APIs from scratch that currently do awesome things. Live Drive, Sky Drive, and now OneDrive have come into being. It should make things so simple at this point. The new reality is that one shouldn't even need to send this data to the file system for access through USB, as I originally wanted. I foresee a time when the project manager makes a recommendation to export the messaging data to OneDrive. Either all or on a per-recipient basis. Would that satisfy the original request? A resounding, "Yes."

• mdgrkbmdgrkb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this functionality added to Windows Phone 7.8 too, not just later versions.

• DarrellDarrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cliff there is 1000's of applications in the Android market that use sms triggers and also compose and send sms. Its a limitation to developers not to have this same ability on wp8.
        We can't create the same useful services, so people that want those apps can't buy a windows phone.

• MarkMark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Backup was a large step forwards however my requirement is still to
        a) archive my messages to files on my PC for access / later retrieval.
        b) ideally implement a PC client to read and reply to messages from my PC as I could with Nokia PC Suite (via Bluetooth / usb). Like others I'll write the app myself if the API it there!

• Vassilis TouloumtzoglouVassilis Touloumtzoglou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been through the what's new in WP8.1 and it still looks like the API is still not available to app devs (even though it's been available to OEMs for over a year). I'm surprised to say the least, to see that a request with so many votes has not made the cut...

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Last Microsoft post it says that texts are backed up in windows phone 8? How does one print it out for court? I have looked and found no solution

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do this... I communicate primarily by text and it would be very useful to many like myself.

Over 12 months on and still no development in this? Can Microsoft give me my money back for this phone and I'll get a Samsung?

• Raza MehdiRaza Mehdi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kind of disappointed that this feature isnt yet available ... I have even created my own app through which i have been able to list out my android phone messages backup in the same way as the Messaging App on the WP8 device. For me 90% of my work is complete, I ONLY NEEDED THE API calls to appropriately add the SMS in its right place. Imagine my surprise at knowing that there is no SMS Access API.

I want to publish my app. Even if it means paying for the SMS Access API.

• TomislavTomislav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I'm switching from Android to WP only to find out that there's no way for me to sync my messages. I was even willing to write the Android and WP apps if no other methods existed, but that seems a no show with the current WP API. What a bummer! Great way to motivate people to switch to WP!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So.. In just 8 days, this request will be 2 1/2 years old and every one of your early adopters who needs to keep their texts for personal, legal or business reasons still can't sell, reset or upgrade their phone and there is likely a high percentage of ex-users that simply can't use their phone until they can perform the latter two.

When will something be done for owners of phones using 7.8 or lower? Rest assured, the market share on this OS is now low enough to enable some sort of access to retrieve texts.. or do we have to keep our redundant hardware until the 7 year statute for business records is up?

• Godwin StewartGodwin Stewart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having text messages backed up to SkyDrive so that they can be sync'ed across devices is great, but I would really like access to the messages via an API so that I can, for example, archive (not back up!) and then delete messages older than a certain age. The built-in ability to delete an entire thread or every last message stored in the phone just isn't fine-grained enough.

I am on WP 7.8 and wanting to move to WP8 but can't as I cannot risk losing the current set of SMS messages that I have on my phone. They are simply that critical to me!

• Sakari VehkavuoriSakari Vehkavuori commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is nobody able to write this application, or is it dependent on MS to release something?

I moved from old Symbian to new Windows phone, and I cannot comprehend that there is no way to write messages in computer and send them through the phone or then just simply save them!!!

20131105 - One yer later from "UNDER REVIEW"

Is this possible yet?

It is the only issue holding me back from a much needed migration to WINDOWS PHONE 8.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19

Feedback and Knowledge Base