How can we improve the Windows platform?

Extend the API to query phone volume and vibration settings, maybe even set them.

Currently, when developing a alarm clock app, there is no way to tell if the user has his phone set to vibrate only, so a soundeffect set by the user is played even if he has set his phone to vibrate. I find this very confusing, even though the builtin alarm clock behaves the same way.
This would also be good to have for games, so when you launch a game in a quiet environment not all heads turn the user's way :)

3,055 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Line40 MobileLine40 Mobile shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    EronEron shared a merged idea: The option to set volume control to each app and each options inside apps.  ·   · 
    Varun AcharVarun Achar shared a merged idea: Separate volume control for media and ringer  ·   · 
    FahriFahri shared a merged idea: independent volume control for button touch sound  ·   · 
    MichelMichel shared a merged idea: Separate audio controls for Alarm,Notification,Media  ·   · 
    corinthiandoomcorinthiandoom shared a merged idea: better sound controls  ·   · 
    iseifiseif shared a merged idea: Force sound-off in Silent/Vibration Modes  ·   · 
    Troy GatesTroy Gates shared a merged idea: Split Volume Control  ·   · 

47 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like a lot to develop to WP but this kind of limitation (and many others) is very, very frustrating, by the fact that other platforms already have such functionalities for a long time. For example, i have created an app (http://gtezini.blogspot.com.br/2014/03/windows-phone-gerenciador-de.html) that tries to improve the notifications in the phone, but for the most of the features in the OS today we have to use launchers and in many cases this is not usefull.

Hello WPDev team, please check this similar thread requesting for an improved Alarm/Reminder APIs:
        http://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-dev-platform/suggestions/6281055-need-improved-alarm-reminder-apis-in-wp8-1-run

Windows Phone 8.1 is here but there is still no improved equivalent of the current (and old) Alarm/Reminder APIs in the Universal Windows Runtime. The limitations of the current Alarm/Reminder APIs are severely hindering the development of more advanced alarm/reminder type apps.

Hopefully someone from the WPDev team can look into this thread. Thanks!

I would tie Cortana functionality in to this as well (ex.: "Cortana set an alarm for tomorrow at 6 a.m. at 50% volume."

• Andrew StephensAndrew Stephens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently switched from Android, where the "profile manager" apps were a god-send, allowing me to change volume and vibrate settings based on "rules" like time of day and location (e.g. turning to silent at night, or vibrate only while in work).

I love my Nokia 1020 but the lack of volume control apps is by far my biggest bug-bear on the Windows phone platform.

• StephanStephan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Exactly what I was thinking Robert. It would be nice to develop something like this. And it has been more than one year ago MS responded. Maybe in the new 8.1 SDK?

• Robert FieldRobert Field commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems crazy that you can't do this via the SDK. Also it would be very useful if you could set/query the volume of the phone. The phone lacks the ability to switch between low/med/high volume quickly like you can on the BB. I would like to develop a small app that would allow users to create profiles, which could be set from tiles on the home screen.

• Surya ChintaSurya Chinta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not sure what i am trying to say is to this suggestion or not but please see my comments below:

Phone volume(vibration) should be set by each module, functionality or app.

Scenario1: If my phone mode set by vibration or volume level 4 when i start hearing media from music player if i increase/decrease the player volume, it changes my phone vibration to current music player volume or volume level 4 to current music player volume, that should not happen.

Expected result: If your phone volume level 4 when you start hearing media from any phone player when you increase or decrease volume that phone volume level should not change, it should remain volume level 4

Scenario 2: Currently for windowsphone users there is no way to maintain phone in Vibrate on ring and vibrate on silent

Scenarion 3: After closing the music player when i try to increase or decrease the phone volume it still shows that music player volume increase/decrease rather than phone volume increase/decrease

Please fix this for more convenient way to use phone mode for users

• Idris DragonIdris Dragon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

O ne of the key features (as a business user) I miss from the android is the "setting profiles app" which does all this based on time and/or location. The alternatives in WP8 are mediocre and frankly laughably fiddly and basic

• AdrianoAdriano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WP8 should manage the volume for each application, like in Symbian. In Symbian, I was able to use the volume buttons to set the volume of my app, without changing the volume of the ringtone.

• Justin LiuJustin Liu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's the little things that WP has missed, please, you are doing your devs a big favour if this can be done in the next update.

• GuyGuy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like in iOS they have a separate volume value per connected device (BT volume differs from Speaker volume differs from Handset differs from Headsets volume) and app/function of the phone (media player volume, Ringer volume, call volume, notifications volume, ...)

I keep changing volumes when listening to music and resetting the volume for the ringer...

• RanganadhRanganadh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very common and obvious feature...i don't know how they missed it. I am feeling it very annoyed when it rings aloud. I need the volume to be high while driving and sometimes i forget to reduce the volume when entered into the office.

• Justin KongJustin Kong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Android has apps that will auto set your volume based on time of day. It is very useful and required before I get a windows phone. You can also use apps to turn off volume for a specified time, for instance, for an hour long meeting.

• Truegee85Truegee85 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the ringtone volume setting should only be accessible in ringtone&sound settings and not thru the volume rocker

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base