How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

Extend the API to query phone volume and vibration settings, maybe even set them.

Currently, when developing a alarm clock app, there is no way to tell if the user has his phone set to vibrate only, so a soundeffect set by the user is played even if he has set his phone to vibrate. I find this very confusing, even though the builtin alarm clock behaves the same way.
This would also be good to have for games, so when you launch a game in a quiet environment not all heads turn the user's way :)

2,389 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Line40 MobileLine40 Mobile shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    EronEron shared a merged idea: The option to set volume control to each app and each options inside apps.  ·   · 
    Varun AcharVarun Achar shared a merged idea: Separate volume control for media and ringer  ·   · 
    FahriFahri shared a merged idea: independent volume control for button touch sound  ·   · 
    MichelMichel shared a merged idea: Separate audio controls for Alarm,Notification,Media  ·   · 
    corinthiandoomcorinthiandoom shared a merged idea: better sound controls  ·   · 
    iseifiseif shared a merged idea: Force sound-off in Silent/Vibration Modes  ·   · 
    Troy GatesTroy Gates shared a merged idea: Split Volume Control  ·   · 

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew StephensAndrew Stephens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently switched from Android, where the "profile manager" apps were a god-send, allowing me to change volume and vibrate settings based on "rules" like time of day and location (e.g. turning to silent at night, or vibrate only while in work).

I love my Nokia 1020 but the lack of volume control apps is by far my biggest bug-bear on the Windows phone platform.

• StephanStephan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Exactly what I was thinking Robert. It would be nice to develop something like this. And it has been more than one year ago MS responded. Maybe in the new 8.1 SDK?

• Robert FieldRobert Field commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems crazy that you can't do this via the SDK. Also it would be very useful if you could set/query the volume of the phone. The phone lacks the ability to switch between low/med/high volume quickly like you can on the BB. I would like to develop a small app that would allow users to create profiles, which could be set from tiles on the home screen.

• Surya ChintaSurya Chinta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not sure what i am trying to say is to this suggestion or not but please see my comments below:

Phone volume(vibration) should be set by each module, functionality or app.

Scenario1: If my phone mode set by vibration or volume level 4 when i start hearing media from music player if i increase/decrease the player volume, it changes my phone vibration to current music player volume or volume level 4 to current music player volume, that should not happen.

Expected result: If your phone volume level 4 when you start hearing media from any phone player when you increase or decrease volume that phone volume level should not change, it should remain volume level 4

Scenario 2: Currently for windowsphone users there is no way to maintain phone in Vibrate on ring and vibrate on silent

Scenarion 3: After closing the music player when i try to increase or decrease the phone volume it still shows that music player volume increase/decrease rather than phone volume increase/decrease

Please fix this for more convenient way to use phone mode for users

• Idris DragonIdris Dragon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

O ne of the key features (as a business user) I miss from the android is the "setting profiles app" which does all this based on time and/or location. The alternatives in WP8 are mediocre and frankly laughably fiddly and basic

• AdrianoAdriano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WP8 should manage the volume for each application, like in Symbian. In Symbian, I was able to use the volume buttons to set the volume of my app, without changing the volume of the ringtone.

• Justin LiuJustin Liu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's the little things that WP has missed, please, you are doing your devs a big favour if this can be done in the next update.

• GuyGuy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like in iOS they have a separate volume value per connected device (BT volume differs from Speaker volume differs from Handset differs from Headsets volume) and app/function of the phone (media player volume, Ringer volume, call volume, notifications volume, ...)

I keep changing volumes when listening to music and resetting the volume for the ringer...

• RanganadhRanganadh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very common and obvious feature...i don't know how they missed it. I am feeling it very annoyed when it rings aloud. I need the volume to be high while driving and sometimes i forget to reduce the volume when entered into the office.

• Justin KongJustin Kong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Android has apps that will auto set your volume based on time of day. It is very useful and required before I get a windows phone. You can also use apps to turn off volume for a specified time, for instance, for an hour long meeting.

• Truegee85Truegee85 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the ringtone volume setting should only be accessible in ringtone&sound settings and not thru the volume rocker

• Krzysiek Krzysiek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must-have feature.
        Just add ringtone volume slider in ringtone+sounds settings screen.
        There should be also independent volume control of voice call.

• BrandonBrandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Omg, this is what I was talking about. I did not know how to actually explain it.

• mndynastymndynasty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes please add this!!! i am tired of missing calls and nearly blowing my ear drums when i play music.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base