How can we improve the Windows platform?

Prepaid codes for WP apps - Promo Codes for Reviewers

This has been in xbox arcade for awhile now and would be a good addition to the WP marketplace. Would be much easier to promote a paid app when you can give out a few free copies to people!

1,011 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SteveSteve shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and the comments. I should have done this sooner, but marking it as ‘under review’ to [at least] acknowledge it.

This is definitely something that we are hearing as a need, and it is definitely high up on the feature consideration list as the team looks at releases.

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rasmus RasmussenRasmus Rasmussen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a similar request. I have a game in the Windows App Store, which was backed on Kickstarter. I would really like to get a copy of it to my backers somehow, whether through a promo code or a pre-purchase/gift code.

I just logged a support ticket on this, looking for a way to do it, and was told to add my comment here. I see the original post is from 2011, and that it was answered in 2013. Hopefully that means a solution is close.

• Fox AppsFox Apps commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add an API (maybe to the LicenseInformation object) in order to set an app as "PAID/GIFT" by code, so the user in case of reinstallation sees it as regularly paid.
        This is absoluteluy necessary when a developer sells a trial/paid app via Fortumo or other payment gateways. In this scenario, the developer sells, or better "unlock", the trial/paid app via a special IAP product at Fortumo side, so the user thinks he bought it, but in case of reinstallation he will see "buy" and will into cofusion...

Thank you very much for the attention,

Best Regards

• Rasmus RasmussenRasmus Rasmussen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be VERY helpful. As someone who got his game funded via Kickstarter, I would LOVE to be able to give each backer a code in return for their investment.

• Matt HughsonMatt Hughson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To answer your questions @Cliff Simpkins:

The prepaid codes should be be free and unlimited to the developer. Each code should unlock one copy of the game, and associate it will the Windows Live account that used the code; it can not be transferred once unlocked (to avoid people passing around the same code to friends).

The codes should be redeemed through the regular Windows Phone Marketplace in order to avoid any confusion for the person redeeming the code.

I haven't tried the Beta system yet, but that sounds interesting. However, the fact that they are gifted directly to specific people is problematic though, as it means you need to know the exact email of every journalist that will want to play your game. That's probably not realistic. It would be much nicer to use the shotgun approach and just send tons of codes to as many people as possible with the hopes that a few "bite". From the developers perspective it is slightly annoying that after already finishing my game, I now need to upload and maintain an additional version of my game on this Beta marketplace.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an absolute must for marketing my apps and games during launch. I need some way of issuing promo codes to push marketing of an app. This kind of thing to me is essential to make an app for a small developer to have a chance of gaining interest.

• Cliff SimpkinsAdminCliff Simpkins (Sr Product Manager, Windows Phone Developer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a total aside, as an avid consumer of the Starbucks' 'Pick of the Week' cards, I'm personally all for codes both for reviewers and for larger distribution.

Follow-up question to folks here - how would you see this working for codes from developers? 5/10/20/n free from the Store? Dev can purchase them?

Also, have folks tried using the 'Beta' distribution channel as a way of providing a tailored delivery for reviewers (even as the final/non-beta version)? Or does it have to be point to the one in the store?

• John LEEJohn LEE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, this has been a request for 2 YEARS now. Somehow I don't think that the Store folks care about reviewers. Apple had promo codes the very first day they opened shop. So did Google Play.

Why is it that after such a long time, the same standard feature isn't available here? @Cliff Simpkins can you provide any insight or guidance?

• Jeff B.Jeff B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love this idea. There have been times where I'd like to give my beta testers a code so they can "unlock" the final "Trial" version of the app. If I could give them a prepaid code, that would be perfect!

• Zing PowZing Pow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't optional, it has to be done as the competing platform allows its app developers to hand out free codes to software reviewers who are an absolute necessity to marketing both the app and the platform. I realize other platforms aren't as good as WP7, however their superior marketing is more then making up for it.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base