How can we improve the Windows platform?

periodic task configurable

At the moment, the periodic task runs every 30 minutes. My suggestion is to make this interval configurable. For example, if you want to retrieve gelolocations frequently in the background. It is just not possible to do this at the moment. Other platforms (iOS and Android do support this!!!!!). Let the user decide what he wants (concerning battery life etc). Don't define restrictions for developers.

28 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ArjanArjan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MoinMoin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update how to do this. It’s a major restriction. Also there are other constraints, periodic tasks won’t run when battery is low. Also no support on 256MB devices.

• momo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be longer intervals as well: 12, or 24 hours. (Example: to update the live tile of a canteen menu, which of course changes only once a day..)

• propro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, i also agree in this matter. 30 mins interval is a really long time. I hope that it will change soon.

• KarenKaren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must for applications that are geolocation dependent (that is, an app that wants to do something once a particular location has been reached). The customers I am working with would be more than happy to decide whether he was going to allow an app to run more frequently (that is, higher priority than other background tasks) because the app will enable a group of users to do something they couldn't otherwise do.

Feedback and Knowledge Base