How can we improve the Windows platform?

API to create emails with an attachment

Modify the email launcher API to add an attachement

3,301 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    bluediverbluediver shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Gianluca BiancoGianluca Bianco shared a merged idea: Allow telephone to send PDF to email!!!  ·   · 
    Andrew Reid Andrew Reid shared a merged idea: Fix the issues with replying to emails in Outlook  ·   · 
    KalyanKalyan shared a merged idea: Ability to attach any type of files to reply email  ·   · 
    SenthilSenthil shared a merged idea: Email Attachment  ·   · 
    FedericoFederico shared a merged idea: be able to save attachment and a  ·   · 
    LSELSE shared a merged idea: non picture email attachments. please let me download a pdf in ie, save it, attach it to email, send  ·   · 
    Ace2euceAce2euce shared a merged idea: Attach document from new email message  ·   · 
    Cyruss1989Cyruss1989 shared a merged idea: Enable attachments when you reply to an email  ·   · 
    Gerald MaffeoGerald Maffeo shared a merged idea: Support attachments in EmailComposeTask  ·   · 

85 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David LorenzinDavid Lorenzin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The library exists, I developed it two years ago :) !!!!
        Just search "MailMessage WP" on Nuget or Bing :)

• Vishwajeet KumarVishwajeet Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be better if we can send attachment using EmailComposeTask which at present does not support sending email attachment.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if you dont add this feature in few months, i will simply report this on all websites including flipkart, twitter as my negative feedback.

First no good video player to play all files, no ability to upload files to email without wifi or charger and now email attachment problem,

This is very disappointing MS. If you want to lead you need to listen to indian customers soon, or it will be too late.

• Nate ZauggNate Zaugg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am simply gobsmacked that this feature is not there! Please get serious about this OS Microsoft!

• ChanduChandu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please add this feature " Attaching any files directly from e mail "

• dirkdirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I regret the day trading-in my SymbianBelle
        Mr. E called it burning ship but you can attach any doc type in an email.

• Christopher SnazellChristopher Snazell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's kind of depressing that it's over 2 years since this was suggested without it appearing.

Here's a UK-centric example of why Windows Phone needs this (above & beyond feature parity with iOS 3). 3G & 4G cellular networks in the UK cover about 38% of the country's landmass. This is due to the fact that the frequencies these networks are on are sufficiently high that hills, trees & older buildings (of which the UK has many) are very effective at blocking these signals. This is basic physics.

Given that it is likely for the user to be outside of 3G/4G coverage when travelling, being able to compose an email, add an attachment & have it go into the phone's send queue to be sent when the queue can be serviced is pretty useful & user friendly.

The web-service based alternative requires the app to queue submissions and service them when a network becomes available either via a background agent, which the user or system might have disabled, or worse, when the app starts again which might be days after they think they've sent the email.

Having once central email send queue available via an API is simply more efficient & user friendly.

• Tech997Tech997 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better design? Yeah right, web service is not necessarily 'better', but you definitely need an web service - and it limits your options. Using emailing is straightforward solution.

• Peter WonePeter Wone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another workaround which arguably is a better design is delegating to a web service. If you this you can pass the message subject and bodies as string and attachments as byte[], and the full scale framework is at your disposal, including among many other things an elaborate version of MailMessage with all the capabilities you lament.

Honestly, people, this is hardly more than a nuisance, and you carry on like it's the end of the world. I can see why Microsoft isn't treating it as a big problem, it's not a showstopper.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What are you waiting for to implement this possibility???
        I thought that i would buy a phone better than my iPhone... But this is simply ridiculos!!! I regret the day i didn't buy an android phone! And i read that is 2 years that are you dealing with this?? Are you insane? You are waiting to' lose al the customer?? I will do bad commercial of your phone

• Peter WonePeter Wone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has it occurred to anyone to write their own? I did this back in the days when the desktop version of MailMessage was pretty lame, and it wasn't terribly hard to do. You read the RFC and you implement it. You don't even need to implement Base64 encoding, the Convert class will do it for you. Probably the toughest thing was negotiating authentication. You might even still find that code on CodeProject.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over 2 years and this still hasn't been implemented. PLEASE implement this. I have a critical feature in my app that relies on this and I can't go to Store without it.

• SenthilSenthil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To Mr Cliff,
        Please release this feature Asap, coz this is a must need feature for tapping enterprise customers, since the blackberry already sees a decline please come quick with a solution for this.
        we as user's we end up paying extra money to buy solutions like mail plus which is of no use at the end of the day. Please please please come fast with a solutions at-least in GDR3.

• Marco MuraMarco Mura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What the hell are you waiting for to implement this??
        It requires almost nothing more on the API you already have!!

• FredericFrederic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm basically waiting for this feature to release a WP8 port of an iOS game...

• JustinJustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Attachment is a Must Have for Email Compose Task!!

How are we going to take over the phone app market without it.

• thierrythierry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the middle of an app and required to add attachments to email to only find out that this is not possible!!! This is just insane!! Every time I'm learning something new with the WP8 sdk, it seems that something is buggy or missing or requires a work-around!! Extremely frustrating and disappointing at the same time!! Feels like this was rushed, not tested and very little thought went into the decision making!! How on earth can you release email without allowing to add attachment is beyond me? Please add this asap, this is just ridiculous!! Will resort in buying a toolkit for it as it cheap enough but by the look of things, it doesn't appear to be great! Read mad right now! And no, I cannot use a web service!!

• Cliff SimpkinsAdminCliff Simpkins (Sr Product Manager, Windows Phone Developer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@nani - Unfortunately, I can't provide updates on progress outside of the larger Windows Phone disclosure. As such, the best I can do is mark it as 'under review' to publicly acknowledge that we've seen the request and that it's been discussed internally. When folks make a public announcement on a feature or capability, then I can set things to 'started' (if we announced it as a beta or roadmap feature) or 'completed' (when we ship). Doing more than that would likely put me afoul with my PR team. :)

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base