How can we improve the Windows platform?

Access Podcasts through MediaLibrary

Provide access to the podcast episodes that are in the media library so that they may be used to construct, for instance, custom playlists.

Developers wishing to leverage the Zune media platform to offer improved or tailored podcast playback experiences are currently blocked. Instead, an app developer must re-implement all the podcast management functions that are already well handled by the device and the PC Zune software. Once access to a user’s podcast subscriptions and already downloaded episodes is enabled, developers may easily write applications which enhance the existing playback experience.

This idea could be relatively simply achieved as a new Podcast genre, however that would negatively impact those existing applications which are written with the expectation that all of a user’s genres are musical (other than the Ringtone genre?). A better implementation might expose a new property or method on MediaLibrary that provides access to a podcast subscription management and episode access object.

37 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan ShawJonathan Shaw shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please, please, please add a full access (read/modify/create a new) to podcasts in wp8 api.

• Jonathan ShawJonathan Shaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mick, a forum administrator helped to get the idea description updated. Thanks, Laura! -Jonathan.

• Mick NMick N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All good. There's an abundance of fantastic podcast material out there for Windows Phone devs.

I should imagine efforts to improve the efficiency of accessing all this great content would be attractive in this audience.

I initially went looking for such an improved experience myself, but I'm afraid I have already fallen for Zune's fantastic desktop based podcast management experience following repeated recommendations.

Unfortunately it would have been two steps backwards for one step forward even if I had found a suitable app.

• Jonathan ShawJonathan Shaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mick,

Your excellently written comment is in full alignment with what I was thinking! Unfortunately, I'm unable to modify the idea's summary statement, nor can I vote up your comment (otherwise I absolutely would do so).

I just got my first smart phone last week (HTC Radar 4G) and found that, as I expected based on what I had previously seen in the APIs and in the Zune PC software, the built-in podcast management is excellent but the playback user experience is horrible due to the lack of playlist support. Because of this, I still have to lug around my iPod Classic at the gym and in the car.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathon, thanks for initially raising this need. I don't suppose you'd be interested in merging the reasons to do so to see if we can get this noticed a little more?

Podcast player apps seemed to be forced to reimplement all the podcast management legwork that Zune already has built into the platform.

All the songs in a users MediaLibrary are available to apps that want to offer improved or tailored playback experiences.

All the podcasts in a users MediaLibrary are NOT available to apps.

App ideas intending to leverage the platform to offer improved or tailored podcast playback experiences are not possible without overcoming significant friction.

Please unlock developer potential.

This seems like a relatively simple matter of expanding the existing data already exposed by the SDK.

Feedback and Knowledge Base