How can we improve the Windows platform?

Scheduled Tasks

Ability to create scheduled tasks that occur at a given interval. Regardless of the state of the phone. (ie like Windows scheduled tasks or linux cron jobs).
I would like to schedule a job to 'POST' a url every 10min to keep alive UNTANGLE authentication. Currently Periodic tasks have a 30min limit, Push Notifications won't wake up the phone. This is possible on Android and iOS.

11 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrew TierneyAndrew Tierney shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Scott DalyScott Daly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These background tasks can be very inefficient. I want to set up one for once per day, however the OS is going to invoke them approx every 30 mins, so I have to let the task be invoked and check if it's already run, if so then backout....surely it would be more efficient for me to simply schedule the OS to invoke the task once per day in the first place...

• Andrew TierneyAndrew Tierney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to have a list of tasks/apps which are run on a given schedule. (ie. Like Windows Task Scheduler or U*ix crontab).

* What app to run (ie. Untangle authentication)
        * When to run (ie. Every 10min)
        * Allow task to wake up phone ? Or only run when phone awake
        * Run tasks on Wake or Sleep

This would simplify development of period apps. It would reduce battery usage, by allowing the OS to decided when to schedule/call the app. Not the app in background polling/waiting etc.

It would also allow automated wake up from sleep by the OS for a given task...

Feedback and Knowledge Base