How can we improve the Windows platform?

Integrate BackgroundAudioPlayer and XNA MediaLibrary

Allow the BackgroundAudioPlayer to play tracks from the MediaLibrary. Or allow applications that implement the XNA MediaPlayer class to run in the background.

460 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    zl1zl1 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Integrate BackgroundAudioPlayer and XNA MediaLibrary

Allow the BackgroundAudioPlayer to play tracks from the MediaLibrary. Or allow applications that implement the XNA MediaPlayer class to run in the background.

• wolf50500wolf50500 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please include!! the default music player is not a good fit for audiobooks and it shouldnt be expected to! there are some decent apps out there for audiobook readers but they all have the same flaw...i have to put books on my skydrive then on my phone when i should just drop them in my music folder over a wired speedy conection

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The tremendous volumes of apps for Android and iPhones make a Windows phone a choice anyone would have second thoughts about. Why would you want to make your Windows 8 OS even less desirable than it already is?

• GrzegorzKGrzegorzK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please! Good to have it in 8.1! Playing audiobooks from local drive makes it imposiible and your phones are made not usefull!

I have Lumia 1020 and can't listem to audiobooks from locally coppied files! What a waste of money!

• Kasper Rune SøgaardKasper Rune Søgaard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are no decent Music Player apps for windows phone for playing local mp3's, only streaming apps, and this is the reason.
        And come on Microsoft, your own app don't even have a shuffle function!

• SimonSimon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea: the only way to create a nice integrated audio book experience (without streaming or downloading audiobooks from the cloud)

• Lassi KinnunenLassi Kinnunen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is a vital addition. just add the possibility to add a Song object to be played by the backgroundaudioplayer.

this is standard expected functionality from the api-set.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In trying to develop a custom playlist application, it is apparent that it is impossible to integrate the BackgroudAudioPlayer with the XNA.MediaLibrary. This means that applications that wish to use the capabilities of the BackgroundAgent are restricted to using only local audio files that are deployed with teh application, or audio streaming sources. There is no way to access the phone's MediaLibray.Songs to have the BAP play these files in teh background. This is highly restrictive because we can only use the MediaPlayer for foreground applications. Unless of course we go with a predetermined SongCollection such as SongCollection limitedPlaylist = new MediaLibrary.Songs; This stops the ability to create custom playlists.

There are really a number of ways MS could address this limitation:
        1. Expose the SongCollection class so we can add and remove song objects from custome song collections. This way we can pass the entire SongCollection object to the MediaPlayer.Play() method, and providing we don't stop the MediaPlayer, the entire playlist will continue to play despite other foreground applications running.

2. Allow the BackgorundAudioAgent to utilise the XNA framework so that the device's song library can be played and manipulated from the background. You would also need to provide a conversion mechanism to convert a Song to an AudioTrack - as is the default file type for the BAP.

3. Relax the restrictions around application running under a locked screen and/or in the background. So long as the user must explicitally accept the use of teh app in the background, then why is it an issue. Users understand the additional strain this would potentially put on battery life, but by accepting they agree that it's okay.

These are only my suggestions, there may be smarter ways to achieve this, but in the end, the current functionallity is pointless.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In trying to develop a custom playlist application, it is apparent that it is impossible to integrate the BackgroudAudioPlayer with the XNA.MediaLibrary. This means that applications that wish to use the capabilities of the BackgroundAgent are restricted to using only local audio files that are deployed with teh application, or audio streaming sources. There is no way to access the phone's MediaLibray.Songs to have the BAP play these files in teh background. This is highly restrictive because we can only use the MediaPlayer for foreground applications. Unless of course we go with a predetermined SongCollection such as SongCollection limitedPlaylist = new MediaLibrary.Songs; This stops the ability to create custom playlists.

There are really a number of ways MS could address this limitation:
        1. Expose the SongCollection class so we can add and remove song objects from custome song collections. This way we can pass the entire SongCollection object to the MediaPlayer.Play() method, and providing we don't stop the MediaPlayer, the entire playlist will continue to play despite other foreground applications running.

2. Allow the BackgorundAudioAgent to utilise the XNA framework so that the device's song library can be played and manipulated from the background. You would also need to provide a conversion mechanism to convert a Song to an AudioTrack - as is the default file type for the BAP.

3. Relax the restrictions around application running under a locked screen and/or in the background. So long as the user must explicitally accept the use of teh app in the background, then why is it an issue. Users understand the additional strain this would potentially put on battery life, but by accepting they agree that it's okay.

These are only my suggestions, there may be smarter ways to achieve this, but in the end, the current functionallity is pointless.

Feedback and Knowledge Base