How can we improve the Windows platform?

Add a GrantAccountAccessTask for obtaining temporary access to social media accounts

Social networking APIs, like Facebook, are constantly adding new features. Proving access to the authentication directly (even if it were temporary) would allow applications to use the most up-to-date social networking SDK to provide better features for their users.

A "GrantAccountAccessTask" could, for example, ask the user for temporary access (including what permissions are needed). If the user did not have an account configured for that provider, they could be given the chance to create one (or simply redirected to the social network providers website).

763 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard SzalayRichard Szalay shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Decapod StudiosDecapod Studios shared a merged idea: Add in-app social sharing APIs for Facebook, Twitter and Windows Live  ·   · 

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard SzalayRichard Szalay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am familiar with ShareStatus/Link, but they don't include custom features such as "like" or accessing the user's friend list. The core API will never be able to match the Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn SDKs feature-for-feature, so allowing the application to obtain an access token (with user approval, noting permissions) would allow them to do more.

Even the official Facebook/Twitter applications forces you to re-authenticate - it doesn't make any sense.

• SolaceSolace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mango does introduce the start of this with the phone task "ShareStatusTask" and "ShareLinkTask" but I would like to see delegation when the phone prompts the user to deligate permission to the application to post on their behalf without the need of pull update dialog after dialog.

• Lyubomir DokovLyubomir Dokov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this would distinguish the platform from others. I am not sure, but I think no other platforms has this - you input your credentials for certain services in a central place, and every application can use them, after it asks your permission.

• Steven SporenSteven Sporen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would simplify the process greatly for the end user who could manage permissions for the apps through Facebook however not have to enter username/passwords every time they want to post something from a game or app.

Maybe just start with Windows Live? Since you have that end-to-end service.

• Chris PattersonChris Patterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That really would be great. All of the different apps that have differing implementation of sharing to facebook, twitter etc and making me login for each of those apps is a huge pain. The phone already has these accounts and I simply want to give permission to an app to allow me to share through those accounts

• matthiasmatthias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every other client I have wants some kind of social networking connection. Given that the user has already trusted their phone with that data, adding some kind of API access would help make the overall app experience feel more holistic. No reason to reinvent the wheel with every new app.

• mithrilmithril commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! The phone is deep connected with Windows Live and Facebook and 3rd parties don't have access... kinda really stupid :(

Feedback and Knowledge Base