How can we improve the Windows platform?

Qt Support

This is an outctopping from the Native SDK suggestion (http://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-app-platform/suggestions/1755203-native-sdk). Please use this suggestion to vote and comment on your want/need for Qt support on the Windows Phone platform.

4,729 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Cliff SimpkinsAdminCliff Simpkins (Sr Product Manager, Windows Phone Developer) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Andrew SakhnoAndrew Sakhno shared a merged idea: Qt Support  ·   · 

Thank you for the suggestion and the spirited commentary on the this topic. While we understand that the Qt platform is important to many folks on this thread, we are not planning to add native support for the platform to the Windows Phone developer platform. That being said, we would be very supportive of the Qt community bringing a runtime to Windows Phone to allow Qt apps to run (and run well!) on the platform, very similar to the work that we’ve done to help bring other runtimes / engines such as Unity, Havok, PhoneGap, and Cocos2d. We feel that the work we’ve done to enable DirectX and the Windows Runtime could enable such a runtime, and would love to see the Qt platform come to Windows Phone.

202 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Eos PengwernEos Pengwern commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a Windows phone; I love every aspect of it apart from the lack of Apps. Enabling Qt apps to run on it would be a big step forwards.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like it too. Qt is a very powerfull framework to develop multi-platform GUI and non GUI Apps. Windows Phone "must" be supported, please!!!

• Benjamin ZellerBenjamin Zeller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Cliff Simpkins Of course, will there be some support for developers willing to put work into this? Like giving away developer devices?

• Mark S.Mark S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a developer who targets multiple platforms, its much easier to get excited about a platform if you can easily port an existing codebase to it

• Konstantin MaslyukKonstantin Maslyuk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i'm opensource developer. i think it would be acceptable if microsoft will acquire sourcecode for native applications to recompile them from version to version of environment. for proprietary developers there would be agreement between developer and microsoft to not disclose or use sourcecode.

• LeonardLeonard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Miak Hanhjarvi
        While I hate to repeat my previous comments, I have to make you realize that Qt has no future on Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT, nor does it on iOS. As proprietory companies that push a closed system, Microsoft or Apple can't withstand a third-party developement tool to be popular on its platform. Apple would not be happy if a killer app on iOS can be easily port to WP8 using Qt. Similar to iOS, WP8/WinRT does not and will not need Qt to succeed.

• Mika HanhijärviMika Hanhijärvi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really hope that Qt will be ported to Windows Phone 8. It would be really great. Qt ofcourse would need to be integrated into platform, eg. accessing the smartphone features needs to be possible (Qt Mobility) etc.

All of my apps are made using Qt. Lack of Qt on Windows Phone is the main reason why I have not started to develop for it yet. If Windows Phone would have Qt, I would have nothing against developing for the platform. I definetely would start to develop for it. I'm currently developing for the Symbian and MeeGo using Qt. Qt on Windows Phone would allow me to create apps for it too.

And by the way, note that most of the new mobile Qt apps for the Symbian, MeeGo etc is made using QML. QML is THE way to create nice fluid mobile Qt applications. So full QML support is extremely important.

Qt makes development wery easy, even if you don't intend to port your app to several platforms. I'm sure developers would love to have Qt on Windows Phone, I know I would.

Nokia owns the Qt so it should not be a problem to port it to Windows Phone.

Here is some information about Qt for those who don't know Qt so well:

Qt IS NOT just a userinterface library, it is a full cross platform application framework. You can create your whole application using Qt. Qt has a crossplatform API for eg. accessing network, accessing web using webkit, sql and databases, audio and video, xml, opengl and much much much more.

Qt Mobility includes cross platform mobile APIs for eg accessing GPS, maps and navigation, phone contacts, phone calendar, notificating user, sending and receiving messages (SMS, MMS, Email), using Bluetooth in phone, usin NFC in phone, accessing phone sensors (accelerometer, compass, ambient light sensor, proximity sensor, gyroscope etc ), taking photos and videos using phone's camera, accessing phone's photo/video/document galleries, accessing system information, accessing phone multimedia features and much much more.

There is also in-app purchasing API and push notification API for the Qt
        You can use all of these APIs to create cross platform application. APIs are wery well designed and easy to use, There is LOTS of documentation, examples, tutorials and wiki articles about using Qt.

Even if you have to re-design the UI-part of your application to suit the target platform, most of your application code is still crossplatform and needs no modification. You can create your whole application using Qt, both UI and application logic.

You can create your apps using C++ or using QML. QML is wery wery nice for creating mobile applications. QML is not just for creating UI, you can create full application using it, or you can mix QML and C++ in the same application. There is also Qt Quick Components, which contains lots of UI components which you can use to build UI for the QML application.

• Eero PenttinenEero Penttinen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it would be awesome if Qt would work on WP8 (I would be extremely happy) - technically it is doable, but unless fully supported my Microsoft and fully integrated into WP8 platform, the end-2-end experience would be crippled for both developers and end users downloading potential Qt based apps. So, I have no hope Qt will be supported to make it even close to 1st class citizen - it is not about the technology, it is about the ecosystem and focusing on those which are important for Microsoft. Qt is unfortunately not part of that game, if it would, it would have been ported to WP 7.5 after the Feb 11 announcement. I'm sorry to say this, but it is better that people do not have any unrealistic expectations.

• godidiergodidier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Qt is a great platform, i think it MUST be support. It will also widely expand the WP developer community (in a short amount of time)...

• JasperJasper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Qt developers will be happy. All you need is to get the Qt team (Nokia?) implement a DirectX front-end and you should be good to go. Native Code FTW!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

do i need to register my handset and have developer account which cost 99 dollar to test my app
        or it will be open like android

• serkolserkol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So now we know that WP8 will support native C and C++. What about Qt?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base