How can we improve the Windows platform?

Remove Search Restrictions

Remove the 50 apps limit from the phone and 100 app limit from the marketplace web site when users search for an app with a search term. If an app can not be found with its ideal keyword (becuase over a hundred apps already have used that search term) then new apps cannot be found with their ideal search terms. The concept of paging using skip and take very easily resolves this issue. It's quite dissapointing that a Bible app cannot be found with the search term bible.

28 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Charles BrewerCharles Brewer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ValerioValerio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Almost 4 years and still nothing has changed! What are you waiting for?!?!?
        This is a great problem for ALL the new developers or new Apps.

• pitchlabpitchlab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to filter by paid or free might help a little, purely because there is likely to be a mix of payment models, thus squeezing a bit more mileage out of the 50 result limit.

The ability to order the results in a way that biases towards recent releases would definitely help.

The bottom line, though, is that the 50 result limit introduces a crippling discontinuity into the search space navigation.

• JZJZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same Problem here. My App is absolutely invisible in the store. Can anyone tell me what is the intention behind the limited search list. Until then, i quit every engagement for this platform.

• pitchlabpitchlab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this suggestion.

When searching the store from my test device (Lumia 520 / WP8) using the phrase "guitar tuner", the store browser app only returns around 50 results and I can't see any way to get more results.

When doing the same search via windowsphone.com, there are hundreds of results (of which my recently released app is one).

Unless I'm missing something, this gives established (i.e. old) apps an almost insurmountable advantage when there are more than 50 results for a given search phrase because newly released apps will start at the bottom of the rankings and thus be invisible.

I've previously released an Android and iOS app in the same utterly saturated category and moving up the rankings is very much dependent on a small number of 'early adopters' who are inquisitive enough to go searching through the bottom of the rankings looking for new apps.

Given that low ranking apps only turn up with via a search on windowsphone.com, this mechanism is pretty much lost.

• Charles BrewerCharles Brewer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many people have told me that they are sticking with the Android system because it has more apps. If I do a search for the term bible on an android, I get over 1500 results ( it implements paging), WP7 I get 50? This doesn't just apply to a Bible app, it applies to almost anything that has ideal search keywords. I apologize for nagging but 50? C'mon! Where's the vision?

Feedback and Knowledge Base