How can we improve the Windows platform?

Application pricing in the marketplace

At the moment, if someone buys an application, they get all future versions of that app with no further funding to the developer. This is typical of a mobile phone app marketplace but not how it generally works with desktop applications where you might be expected to pay an "upgrade" fee to go from, say, version 1 to version 2.

Can we please have something similar for the WP7 marketplace (and, indeed, the Win8 marketplace)? In other words, developers would be at liberty not only to set the original purchase price but an upgrade price to go from a given set of versions (perhaps keep it to major versions only) to the latest version.

The reason for suggesting this is because the app I'm working on at the moment has got a very long development lifecycle - I can see myself working on it for months if not years to come. How do I appropriately set the price when the first release may be quite basic compared to what would be available in 12 months' time? If I set it low because the functionality is basic, I'm not going to get rewarded for future development work, and if I set it high to reflect the value of a potential future version, nobody will buy it initially because the functionality won't reflect that value.

30 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Philip ColmerPhilip Colmer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ZeitsekZeitsek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have thought of that. And if you want to charge for new content, (i.e. expansion pack style) you can enable it as IAP ;)

• MarkMark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm in the same situation here, my app is a muilti year project that started off as basic but is continually getting more feature complete. Adding in app purchases is not a workable solution.
        Instead of just copying the other app stores Microsoft should be more innovative.

• Kuraara ForrestKuraara Forrest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really hope the WP7 team take this one on board, I'm sure if the cost of a Windows or Office license had remained at their v1.0 prices with upgrades free of charge then Microsoft would no doubt would have gone broke years ago.

• JDBJDB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thats true. You can keep giving your users better versions through time, that is extra customer satisfaction and maybe some recommendations for the app, but that won't pay the effort...
        Please allow paid version upgrades.
        @Philip, you might want to change the topic title to something like "Paid upgrades on Marketplace"

• Philip ColmerPhilip Colmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry - I meant the title to be something more meaningful like "Application pricing in the marketplace".

Feedback and Knowledge Base