How can we improve the Windows platform?

API to directly modify system properties (wifi, mobile data, bluetooth, volume, airplane mode, etc.) instead of using launchers

This can be made safe for users by making the certification requirements very strict when utlizing those APIs with requirements for very clear, concise notice to the users.

1,091 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    George A. Roberts IVGeorge A. Roberts IV shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: NFC is not really useful with tags now. Please make it convenient  ·   · 
    Daniel BorinDaniel Borin shared a merged idea: Native On-screen Buttons to one click - on/off for wifi, bluetooth, data connection, airplane mode...  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: what is the built-in URI schemes for launching tap+send??? like ms-settings-wifi for wifi,ms-settings-bluetooth for bluetooth  ·   · 
    itramWin7.5itramWin7.5 shared a merged idea: API for connectivity and sound profiles  ·   · 
    EyjoEyjo shared a merged idea: API to control settings.  ·   · 
    GundogluGundoglu shared a merged idea: API to turn On/Off Flight Mode  ·   · 

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bernhard KönigBernhard König commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is elementary. Even more now with the new Geofencing API. It would be great to have an App that turns WiFi off as soon as I leave my house, turns Bluteooth on when I enter my car and turns WiFi back on as soon as I re-enter my home. Or activate Airplane mode when, of course, entering the Airport. Having the need to confirm those changes everytime or even have the app running in the foreground makes this useless.

So, this would be awesome. And it's available on other platforms. It's about time WP devs and users get those possiblities too!

To make this more secure for the end-user, besides the already mentioned more strict certification requirements for apps that want to utilize such APIs, I'd recommend to log such changes to the new notification hub. So when an App changes one of those settings, write to the notification center a message like "App xyz has turned off Wi-Fi". So if something goes wrong with those apps and the user doesn't know what's going on, looking into the notification Center will tell him who has turned off his WiFi and he can uninstall the according app instead of blaming Windows Phone or Microsoft for messing around with his settings.

• NGameNGame commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like Such APIs . Apps will always play with user settings by their own it's not good at all . but surely it's my own idea .

• StevieBallzStevieBallz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Part of that need is in my view adressed by the Toggles inside the Action Center. It still remains to be a problem with NFC tags though. Location based enabling/disabling using the new Geofencing feature is also not possible.

So while I understand that we don't want any App to just change System Settings at will it is still something that keeps developers from plugging holes in what the OS is currently able to do in that regard.

• Simon TendickSimon Tendick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea need to be implemented. Noone has to install an app what does need those permissions and I consider these functions inevitable for the future of me using Windows Phone. I'm very satisfied with WP but this is imho a crucial lack of usability.

• JeffRJeffR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, yes, yes! This is one thing that's needed to get into the Enterprise. Android has had this for a long time. WP has huge potential, make it so - do this!

• Simon TendickSimon Tendick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my opinion it should at least be possible to change system settings via NFC Tags, when those are der by the user himself.

• Simpson BartSimpson Bart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, good, I've wanted a 2g-3g switch on desktop for a long time.

We wouldn't need this if settings could be pinned on the desktop, mind you, especially if tiles would be enhanced to contain an on-off slider.

I don't like the idea of developers tweaking my settings either, but it is so annoying to navigate through settings several times a day. 2G/3G, data on/off, wifi and BT on-off should be easily accessible.

I don't see any reason for an app to switch to airplane and disconnect me from the rest of the world.

Again, this wouldn't be an issue if alarms/calendars would be enhanced with more than just ringer. Nokia did this very well with Situations, maybe they'll bring it back.

• GregGreg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, I don't want other developers changing how my phone is setup.

• Hall EntertainmentHall Entertainment commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would especially like to see the volume api implemented. My volume down button got damaged and no longer works so the only way I can lower the volume of my phone is by plugging in the headphones and using the inline volume button.

Feedback and Knowledge Base