How can we improve the Windows platform?

SMS Backup from XDA!

Just found this out on XDA website... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1448197

A way to back up your SMS... all credit goes to XDA and Mr. shinichi_wtn! ... They are being shut down... so show your support, go to http://www.xda-developers.com/ and help them stay online... they have provide such wonderful solutions and "out of the box or cloud thinking!"

Here is the basic info, go to the website to read the details.

SMSBackup V0.3, a small app to backup your sms
Thunder_ in XDA have found that windows phone itself has a backup mechanism, it may backup messages on a regular basis, and store it at "\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\BackupVols\CommsBackup.xml" (see this link), so we can take the file, extract it and then we get our messages.

This small app will help you automatically copy the "CommsBackup.xml" to IsolateStorage and extract them to readable sms.

It have been tested with my HTC Mozart(7740) and many users in WPXAP. In theory, this app should be compatible with interop-unlocked HTC, Samsung and LG phones.

Features

1. Automatically import sms in "CommsBackup.xml" to the app, can sort the messages by conversation or by sending time.
2. Export sms in both xml or txt format to either IsolateStorage or SkyDrive
if you export sms to IsolateStorage, the exported file is export_sms.txt/export_sms.xml, you can use any IsolateStorage tools to download them to your computer.(The ID of this app is 09125ea9-95de-469a-aedc-22e35389ab0a);
if you export sms to SkyDrive, the sms will upload to your SMS folder in SkyDrive(The folder is private, thus "just me")

FINALLY a WAY!

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    CmiucCmiuc shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only works on windows phone 7 devices. will not work with current version windows phone 8 as of Feb 2014

Feedback and Knowledge Base