How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

Allow apps to notify user via notification LED

When an email arrives, or when I got a missed call, OS notifies via the notification LED.
But third party apps don't have the ability to notify the user this way.

I realize that allowing raw control will compromise the UX. However, allowing the apps to let the OS know that there is an update, combined with a toast or a tile update would be useful.

For ex: when I update the tile, or fire a push notification, allowing to mark it as 'priority', so the OS can blink the light ? (then also need a way to cancel the 'priority' as well)
-
Would be better if the marketplace force the developers to allow disabling the LED notifications if the user wants (or make is a App specific OS setting)

- If this is used properly, it makes using a phone much easier. I wouldn't even have to turn on the display to see whether there's a notification. (allow a setting to disable at night time, so it won't freak out people if they wake up mid night and found 'something' blinking next to them.)

151 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Madushan SiriwardenaMadushan Siriwardena shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the phone should "communicate" to user without need to turnon/unlock the phone. It would be good to have visible if you have missed sms or phone call wihtout need to unlock the phone. E.g. you go and get cafe in the office and leave your phone on the desk. when coming back you do not know if someone has tried to reach you or someone has sent you sms without unlocking the phone. the phone should "actively communicate" to the user rather than just sitting on the table.

• DirkieDirkie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed as for hearing impaired. Would save time to do not have unlock screen every time to check any notification.

• Azzam AzizAzzam Aziz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea would make the Windows phone far more superior to any other phone, especially Blackberry and iPhones. Hope this gets passed, it would be an easy idea.

Feedback and Knowledge Base