How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

Vector Tiles, App List icons, and App Bar icons

It would be nice to see Windows Phone move to optional vector based icons instead of static bitmaps.

This would allow the application bar (or appbar) to resize if say HD screens were added.

Ideally, users would only need 2 icons for the marketplace: 'Tile' (contains the application name), and 'List' (just the icon for the app list). Appbars could be created at 48x48 and resized as needed.

I know this is a pain on developers that are not designers or have designers, but an option would be nice time saver for the future. Currently I know of developers creating deep link tiles from XAML in their application, so the idea isn't too far off.

This came up while talking to other developers at a few talks/meetups (not because I created the largest vector based creative commons icon pack for Windows Phone that many of you use already).

32 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TemplarianTemplarian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TemplarianTemplarian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since I don't think we're going to be getting the vector assets soon. The Modern UI Icons site now contains a page to generate all your assets based on one vector logo. Hopefully until MS supports vector assets this tool can save you guys some development time.

http://modernuiicons.com/tiles

Feedback and Knowledge Base