How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

Orientation lock

Having an orientation lock is a must have for the next update. Something so simple. Why it was not included when WP launched is beyond me. The phone is frustrating to use in bed or on laying on the lounge.

2,852 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    NathanNathan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: we need to be able to lock our orientation of the screen.  ·   · 
    philphil shared a merged idea: Add rotation lock to wp8  ·   · 
    Jacob MayburyJacob Maybury shared a merged idea: Option to disable accelerometer sensor for UI auto-rotate.  ·   · 
    George xotzasGeorge xotzas shared a merged idea: LOCK ORIENTATION  ·   · 
    FoobarFoobar shared a merged idea: add orientation lock  ·   · 
    BeakBeak shared a merged idea: Add a option to make gravity lock enable  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Possibility to lock screen so it doesn't flip over when turning the phone  ·   · 

108 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gary RitterGary Ritter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

GDR3 was just released and it includes orientation lock. Developers can install it right away or the "official" channels should roll it out in a few months.

• pdhpdh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With phone update 3 we get orientation lock, thats really good, but there should be a possibility to do it on an app level, for example i want kindle app to Always be locked in one orientation but photo apps not to be locked.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really need this feature, make more comfort and I really agree with David's comment below.

Just make it simple, Microsoft's orientation must on customer not only think how to get money from us.

Microsoft have to learn from iPhone and Android, they both reallly good in this business and really understand how to satistify their user.

@WongAndry

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why AREN"T you adding this capacity in the 8.0 release. It was the most stupid oversight I could ever imagine. All you had to do is check out the iPhone and see how simply they handled that problem. This is NOT rocket science but just applying some basic and simple insight into how a mobile phone is used. Duh!!!!

• richOrichO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Throw us a crumb, will ya? It's ridiculous to have to ask for this. There are a number of other 'standard' UI things that we'll end begging for and you'll be giving us the standard 'we are looking into this. MS understands...blah blah'. For example, where is long press to select all? Geez, do you need us to tell you these things? If so, hell, I'm available.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature, along with the ability to change our SMS, Email etc ringtones.
        Would really to have these added to WP8 ( 8.1).
        I would love this phone 10x more

• Petre QuiengPetre Quieng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will the next update be release? Give us update please for the orientation lock... Its so hard to use wp.

• Petre QuiengPetre Quieng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will the next update be release? Give us update please for the orientation lock... Its so hard to use wp.

• Nitric AcidNitric Acid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FEW PROBLEMS WITH WINDOWS PHONE 8

1. NO FILE MANAGER - CANT INSTALL DOWNLOADED GAMES FROM PC DIRECT TO PHONE…

2. BACKGROUND ONLY WHITE AND BLACK - LOOKS SO BORING, NEED SOME LIVE WALLPAPERS BACKGROUND...

3. TILES FIXED FEW COLOURS - TRY ALLOWING TO GIVE SO FROZEN EFFECTS ON TILES …

4. AUTO ROTATE NO LOCK - UNABLE TO USE WHILE LYING ON BED OR LOUNGE...

5. LESS APPS IN STORE - ALL IMPORTANT NOT THERE, SOME ARE USELESS..SOME SAME APPS FREE IN ANDROID, PAID IN WINDOWS…

6. BLUETOOTH - NOT COMPATABLE WITH ALL PHONES ...

7.INSTALL ONLY IN PHONE MEMORY – APPS AND GAMES ARE INSTALLED ONLY IN PHONE MEMORY, NO OPTION FOR SD CARD …

try to fix it in next windows update....remember android is not having this kind of bugs..So people willing to buy smartphone may choose android, coz they r not suppose to buy issues .....Sorry to say such a company like Microsoft incapable to solve so nominal bugs..huh...I am a Nokia Lumia 820 user.....If those bugs are not fixed with a limited period , I am going to sell it for switching to android.....

• HandsomeHandsome commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

argh - of Id known this I wouldnt have bought one.
        SHould have stick with my Alcatel

• SaimSaim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cliff Simpkins!

Are you guys trying to say that to have this little feature, I'd hv to switch to wp9 or higher?

why do you think customer would be loyal to you? If you re saying, sorry guys we have nailed you, we are not adding this feature in your damn phones and you can't do no shit about it.

Nokia and Microsoft needs some ample and serious talkers too.

• EadEad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use your Nokia Lumia 920 for many months and hope that you willsolve this tiny problem but it never happened. During that time there many choices to make with the same prize. But I choose Window phone because I believe in Nokia and Microsoft. For now I will never buy window phone or Nokia again whatever you will do in the future. Thanks to help me make my choice for the next phone more easier.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hv u guys lost the wish of being the no. 1? Is the nokia era over n nvr gonna come back? Y r u guys so ignorant abt the needs of ur customers? Please pay a heed to our requests n help us to b proud of a wp8 phone n a loyal fan of nokia!

• Dong VuDong Vu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear, Cliff Simpkins

Why is not every update once a month basic features users need? Just one. It is a smart direction and reasonable at this time, in addition to more time for WP development team, is to create new value, new creative without incurring too great pressure.

For example:

- August: update lock orientation
        - September: update quick setting
        - October: update Notification manager
        - November: update support Telex keyboard
        - December: update volume control, improved speed notification, improved multitask because while switch is so slow resuming, search in Messenger folder, improve call history etc....

I think this is no less important to the development of an application store for WP. Because users are starting to feel depressed, many people have thought of turning to using Android or iOS.

Please act now before its too late.

I love Nokia & I also love you Microsoft.

Thanks for your interest.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base