How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

Provide developers and API to access default system sounds (such as those found in Settings - ringtones+sounds)

It would be really helpful if, for example, a developer makes an app that takes advantage of the schedule alarm API, and would like to enable the user to select a custom ringtone for that alarm. This API proposal would enable the user to select from many ringtones already available on the phone, and save developers the trouble of having to implement their own custom ringtones.

74 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Oliver Kevin FuhOliver Kevin Fuh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ShashiShashi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. I was thinking about something like that which works in a emergency situation. Seems like currently we cannot do it. It would have been very good if this was possible.

• JeffRJeffR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, access the sounds in the system, for crying out loud. Blackberry, iOS, and Android can all do this. Why do we have to force the user to pick OUR sounds, when they're, like, "I have the perfect sound clip for this...but I can't use it?"

• Brian ElgaardBrian Elgaard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree. I am surprised that each alarm app needs to provide its own set of sound files.

Feedback and Knowledge Base