How can we improve the Windows platform?

Let an app know if it's pinned

At the moment there's no way for an app to know if its primary live tile is visible or not. As half the point of my app is the information on the live tile, I'd like to have a polite reminder show every so often if they haven't pinned it, but I simply don't know whether they have or not.

20 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark AllanMark Allan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Timothy HuberTimothy Huber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From what I could tell, there's also no way to pin the primary tile from within the app. Both features would be nice in the API, since they work for secondary tiles.

• Hans ZaadnoordijkHans Zaadnoordijk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like Ian Lee, I would like to know whether an app's tile is pinned to prevent my background agent from doing unnecessary work.

• Ian LeeIan Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. There is also a power savings to be created by having this feature. I have a ScheduledTaskAgent that regularly downloads data and builds new tile images. If I could detect if the tile was actually pinned then I would be able to avoid this work because it wouldn't be necessary.

Feedback and Knowledge Base