How can we improve the Windows platform?

Don't delete Apps when App Hub Account is deleted/expires

I find it very strange that every app I have made during my one year membership as a developer is deleted the second I cancel my membership. Microsoft can run things however they want, but I think this is going to kill a lot of innovation and send it off to Android or iOS where you have to pay to publish apps, but apps don't get deleted if you don't pay again or if you cancel your account.

End users are also going to get very annoyed when Apps they have paid for disappear. If Windows phone is going to be a success, I really think this policy needs to change. I made no money my first year of making apps so I intended to take a break for a while as I couldn't afford to renew but now all my apps are gone.

This makes me very tempted to jump boat to a different platform. I highly doubt I am alone in this.

42 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Edwin jonesEdwin jones shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ZeitsekZeitsek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed this is a very nasty practice. It is not fair for the customer, nor the developer who put effort in supporting the platform!

Bad form, bad business!

• RahulRahul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Microsoft removes published apps after the App Hub Account is expired or deleted, then they will continue to get the weak app-ecosystem ratings from critics and various tech-reviewers.

Feedback and Knowledge Base