How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

Free Apps with Donation in addition to Paid Apps with Trial

With WP7 we have the unique ability to offer Trails for Paid Apps, which is great. However, it would be nice if developers could offer Free Apps with a possibility to users for voluntary donations. Some devs do the workaround and offer a Paid app, with the trial version having no restrictions at all (if the user clicks 'buy', he essentially donates to the dev).

However, this workaround has the disadvantage of the app not apprearing in the 'free' category, though they are actually free. Therefore, it would be great if devs could put apps in the marketplace offering two buttons: 'install (free)' and 'install and donate (e.g. 0,99$)'. The price could be splitted 30-70 just like with paid apps, just with the difference of the app appearing in the 'free' category.

21 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    phildaubphildaub shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RP InteractiveRP Interactive commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, actually all you need to change for that is the "try" and "buy" buttons. What about "install" and "sponsor"? (And maybe show the app among the free apps). I am unsure about this idea, but I have the feeling I need to know more about this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base