How can we improve the Windows platform?

Custom keyboard via code

Allow to developers create a custom keyboard. eg. choose letters and numbers together

2,842 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TransisTransis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Oliver Kevin FuhOliver Kevin Fuh shared a merged idea: Soft keyboard API  ·   · 
    MattlekimMattlekim shared a merged idea: keyboard  ·   · 
    meme shared a merged idea: Custom keyboards  ·   · 

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Yuriy SamorodovYuriy Samorodov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is well known for its support to people with disabilities.
        Please consider how much support Microsoft will gain, if they provide API to create custom keyboards!How much more attractive Lumia 1520 would be if it gets, lets say, left-side or right-side mini keyboard!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One reason I will not switch from Android to WP is that I use SwiftKey (keyboard replacement). I make a lot of spelling errors, but they are corrected automatically by SwiftKey.
        Auto correct of WP is much worse, so will not switch to WP untill SwiftKey is on WP. At this moment it's not possible to replace system keyboard.

• KumaranKumaran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to close the SIP when the textbox gets the focus. Giving the control to the developers to show/hide the SIP would be really helpful.

• IanIan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can imagine lots of custom keyboards for purposes beyond mere localization such as: mathematics, engineering, ancient scripts, even computer code. The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator is great for the desktop: I want that for Windows Phone.

• Richard PierreRichard Pierre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really like to see a Dvorak keyboard layout, or at least allow developers to create custom keyboards

• Christopher SnazellChristopher Snazell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SIP open & close events would be very handy. As would being able to suppress the screen adjustment on SIP deployment. This isn't as useful as you think it is.

• Yashar BahmanYashar Bahman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an awesome idea. It would be incredible to be able to create custom keyboards with their own prediction engines. Meaning we'd need the ability to create the interface as well as the background infrastructure and dictionaries, etc... This would be awesome!

• RIchardRIchard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to have support for other keyboards, such as Swype, so the ability to change the keyboard would be great.

• FrankFrank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need a posibility to set the keyboard language from code.
        E.g. the focus on TextBox1 opens the keyboard with the german layout, the focus on TextBox2 opens the keyboard with a greek layout.

on desktop under net 2.0/3.5 is this no problem:

Windows Forms:
        InputLanguage.CurrentInputLanguage = InputLanguage.FromCulture(new System.Globalization.CultureInfo("ar-EG"))

WPF: (This is exact what i need)
        InputLanguageManager.SetInputLanguage(textBox1, new System.Globalization.CultureInfo("en-US"));
        InputLanguageManager.SetRestoreInputLanguage(textBox1, true);

I have tested this and it works fine. If the keyboard is not installed, nothing changes and the current layout remain.

Please implement this, it is important for me for a translation application

• RIchardRIchard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, yes, this would be great. Then we could get Swype or similar. Swype is something I really miss whenever I move back from an Android phone to my Windows phone. Even though the Windows Phone keyboard is pretty good for a simple letter-at-a-time typing keyboard, I really do find it much quicker to enter text with Swype and Swype's prediction is very good. Having a choice of multiple keyboards would be great.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base