How can we improve the Windows platform?

Support for Wifi-Direct

Support for Wifi-Direct enables a lot of user experiences like fast device to device communication. It is supported on Windows 8 and I really hope this will be added soon to Windows Phone.

169 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mithrilmithril shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As part of the WinRT convergence, much of the Wifi direct APIs are in the phone kernel and are being used for Miracast. For more information on the capabilities in the platform, refer to the MSDN docs at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.devices.wifidirect.aspx

However, much of the API set is not available on phone yet. It is our intention to bring phone to parity with client in the future.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • YashYash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please let me know when the release is planned? Is there a date set for beta release?
        Thank You!

• EricEric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If all the inbred capabilities in the Snapdragon 4 are taken advantage of, this looks like the certification level that is possible to attain in any device using it:

http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA14214

It would appear that all Microsoft has to do is bring the SDK code over from Windows RT and then get the drivers from this reference design.

I'm very good at trivializing the problem, eh? But Microsoft, I have faith!

Let's go!

• EricEric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After a few hours of investigation, I found that that Wifi direct is indeed supported by the Snapdragon S4, so now I feel pretty confident this could be supported by firmware/software updates, much as with Bluetooth low energy.

As "proof", I offer that the Galaxy S III uses the same chip as the Nokia 920 and 820 and it has WiFi Direct certification.

I agree that Wifi Direct should be implemented (which would also require a re-cert by the Wifi Alliance, but that goes with the territory)

Please and thank you.

Feedback and Knowledge Base