How can we improve the Windows platform?

Create a new Route object without using RouteQuery

Windows Phone 8 includes a new Map control. It has a new feature to add a route that will be displayed under street names. Street names over the route will be shown in another color and are moved to stay always in center. To add a route to the map you have to create MapRoute object that accepts only Route object in it's constructor. But Route object does not have public constructor. The only possibility to create Route is RouteQuery class. This is a problem! RouteQuery uses online service to calculate the route. Apps can't show the traveled route at real time on the map (like jogging apps). Because they would have to be always online and query the online service frequently.
It is possible to workaround this with MapPolyline. But the polyline is shown OVER the street names. Street names color stays black and not being centered. Also if the new Map has route feature it should be usable.
Possible solution: Route class implements IRoutePath. MapRoute constructor should accept IRoutePath inteface instead of Route class.

23 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Daniels DanilinsDaniels Danilins shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • mcmc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was able to workaround this by using a MapPolyline with an alpha value of it's StrokeColor property but that's just not the same as properly having the street names above the route...

Feedback and Knowledge Base