How can we improve the Windows platform?

Save Windows Phone 8 Emulator State

Every time I run the emulator I have to enter the settings again and again, I'm working on app which use the contacts so every time I have to login with my account (actually more than one account to test) change some settings on the phone emulator, when done! voila next day or next restart I need to enter the accounts and the settings again and again.

Thanks

120 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SamehSameh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Max MengMax Meng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Chris, well, you are right about that, however, any idea how to launch the snapshots from Visual Studio?

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you open up the Hyper-V app and start the emulator from there I believe you can take and restore snapshots as needed.

• Timothy HuberTimothy Huber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think there is a way to save the emulator to a pre-configured state! Need to dig up those steps. That said, the default tiles on the emulator's Start screen don't help the debugging world much. I find myself pinning the Setting app and dragging it to the top all the time. Then I go and remove tiles that I don't need for "integration" work. Why do I keep doing that again and again each day? Need to dig up that "save state" article soon...

• RP InteractiveRP Interactive commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually there is a solution already: if your app recognises there is no saved state, the app should create a default state. A flush state button, or a no-flush-state option would not hurt though. I like the current state though somewhat, that state is deleted when emulator is closed, because it allows me to test against a clean state.

Feedback and Knowledge Base