How can we improve the Windows platform?

Remove the restricted file types for file association.

The most important file types are being restricted from being opened by any application aka devs can not register to use .mp3, .txt, .etc. Without this functionality how can we make apps that allow users to do anything useful with their files.

For example: I want to open a .mp3 in an audio remixer or a video in an app to upload videos. And I want to do this from within another app (skydrive) or from an email attachment or web browser. Right now it just opens up in xbox music. i can play the file and then its gone.

32 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ankur VashiAnkur Vashi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • sSamedisSamedi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of the worst limitations of Windows Phone. Microsoft decides by their own what file types are reserved or not.

They have to let the user decide what app open one file or another like in Windows, if the user preffer open excel files with a 3rd app, let the user choose, don't be closed like Apple.

• Oliver WeichholdOliver Weichhold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry for the rant but THIS is probably the most short-sighted limitation of the platform.

Let me give you an example. I was working an application that allows the user to view animated GIFs. Implementing the viewer part was no problem at all. Was was a nightmare though is to allow the user to actually get access the content.

1. Media Library? Nope. All GIFs will be converted to JPG when saved to the media library.

2. Sharing GIFs with an app by long-pressing an image in IE? Nope. GIF is a file type reserved for built-in applications. Thanks!

3. Importing them from external storage? Nope. You have to register a file association for that. And GIFs is reserved.

4. Email them as ZIP and share via long press? Nope. ZIP is a reserved file association.

5. Import them from Skydrive? Nope. No Skydrive integration on WP8. At least not without requiring the user to enter his credentials and basically give it free reign over his live account.

5. Import from Drop Box? Yeah right.

You gotta be kidding me.

• Corey BonnellCorey Bonnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have an app in the works that allows the user to listen to .wav files that use codecs that the stock media player does not currently support, such as A-law, Mu-law, etc. Such an app would be highly useful for many users who use the phone for business, as many corporate voicemail systems send voicemails as .wav file attachments to the recipient's e-mail address. Often, these messages cannot be played on Windows Phone 8 due to the lack of codec support for compressed formats. As you can imagine, this lack of functionality is a deal-breaker for many users who use their phone for business.

I was hoping to solve that issue by registering my app as a file type handler for .wav files, but currently the .wav file extension is restricted, so my app cannot register to handle the .wav file extension. This greatly diminishes the value that my app can provide, since there is no other way for my app to access the voicemail file. Users would first have to logon to a computer and upload the file to SkyDrive, etc. At that point, the user can just listen to the voicemail directly on their computer without going through the hassle of uploading to SkyDrive.

I'm sure that many other developers would benefit from relaxed restrictions on the file types as well. As it stands now, these extensive restrictions are preventing a wide variety of otherwise very useful apps from even being possible.

Feedback and Knowledge Base